• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Electronic to Mechanical IP swap

how could i convert from electronic to mechanical...

Aww, gwasshoppa,

-easier than one might imagine, -especially if your rig is equipped with a manual trans.

Make no mistake, some serious fuel can be had from a DS pump, but to run with the big dawgs, you NEED a DB2 or a DB4.

The DB2 with the .340" plungers, -built for all it is worth, seems to do a pretty good job.

Two are even better. ):h

Depends on your truck. Fill in your signature to make it easier for those much smarter than me to answer your questions.
I am no expert but... If you have a manual trans, then you just need to switch to a throttle cable set up instead of the electronic drive by wire set up. I think the duel water inlet may need modified if you have a later year truck with that set up. Swap in a mechanical pump and lines. If you have a auto trans you need to figure how to control it, this also depends on year. Chime in guys if I got something wrong.

Yeah i got an automatic but i dont have a dual inlet water pump and how would i change the fly by wire...
But how do dmaxs work they have electronic throttle bodies wouldn't it be like the same...

Last edited:
i was wondering if i could convert from electric fuel pump to mechanical fuel pumps...

Do you have a manual or automatic?

The only two things in common between a 6.5 and a Dmax are the fact that they are both diesels and both come as options in GM trucks.

4l80 automatic

You'll need:

- a DB2 or DB4, 12 volt injection pump
- 1993 or older injection lines (6.5 or 6.2 should work)
- 1993 or older accelerator pedal (or, I believe, a 99 or older gasser pedal)
- 1993 or older throttle cable (or, I believe, a 99 or older gasser throttle cable)
- a standalone transmission control module OR I think you can put a TPS on the IP itself and wire it to the existing module
- a cold advance solenoid (for cold weather)

I think if you go to the diesel page, someone has written a how-to for your rig.

Feel free to pipe in, anyone, if I missed anything.

The DB2's have a TPS standard, or at least my '93 does which helps interface to the 4L80E along with the ECT.
Don

Get the 4 plunger mech. pump and I don't think any electronic DS4 will be able to catch you. 5722? is that the right pump #?

And BTW, if you want to compete with the newer diesels you have to do some serious mods to deal with the extra power these trucks were NOT designed to have.

yeah im trying to make it competitive with the newer diesels

Good luck!

Gonna take some serious $$$$$

With the economy the way it is right now, I have been looking to the States for a used DMAX to import....the 6.5 is not a race truck....though it is fun to push it to the limit at the local grudge nights :thumbsup:

A DB2?

You'll need:

- a DB2 or DB4, 12 volt injection pump
- 1993 or older injection lines (6.5 or 6.2 should work)
- 1993 or older accelerator pedal (or, I believe, a 99 or older gasser pedal)
- 1993 or older throttle cable (or, I believe, a 99 or older gasser throttle cable)
- a standalone transmission control module OR I think you can put a TPS on the IP itself and wire it to the existing module
- a cold advance solenoid (for cold weather)

I think if you go to the diesel page, someone has written a how-to for your rig.

Feel free to pipe in, anyone, if I missed anything.
I think you missed something very important! Make sure you tell him to try and find someone who is trusting enough to send him one, make a promise to pay for it and then steal it from him by not sending any money. Make sure you let everyone know how you are "Soon to be PMD-less...", by taking something and not paying for it. hope you enjoy your new injection pump buddy. Next time you ever get down here to Baytown, Tx. make sure you look me up, I have something waiting for you! If you need my address just email me for it, I already have yours!

I think you missed something very important! Make sure you tell him to try and find someone who is trusting enough to send him one, make a promise to pay for it and then steal it from him by not sending any money. Make sure you let everyone know how you are "Soon to be PMD-less...", by taking something and not paying for it. hope you enjoy your new injection pump buddy. Next time you ever get down here to Baytown, Tx. make sure you look me up, I have something waiting for you! If you need my address just email me for it, I already have yours!

I think I missed something here too... elaborate please.

I think I missed something here too... elaborate please.
can't really. i was just letting everyone here know that some people can't be taken for their word. don't EVER send something out to this person and expect him to pay. that's all i'm gonna say about that. sorry for the thread hijack.

My brother and I have done a few already in 96 trucks OBDII. You don't live very far at all from me. If you had all the mechanicals done My brother could do the electrical. In all of ours unless you are a 6.5 nut you would'int even notice the swap by looking at it. We have it down pretty well now. No original wires are cut and if needed for some reason you could put the DS4 back in it.
We could do the mechanical aspect for you also, but you could save alot of $$ doing that yourself.

With that said (and I don't know the story) I do charge up front and will not release a vehicle unless its paid in full. Like any other shop would do.

With that said (and I don't know the story) I do charge up front and will not release a vehicle unless its paid in full. Like any other shop would do.
that was my point in posting this. good advice. wish i would have done the same!

Back