• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Electrical component question...

chrisk1500

Reaction score
Hey guys,

After reading a few threads I am wondering what I need to accomplish something.

I want to rig up an LED that turns 'on' when fuel pressure to the IP is at 0 PSI.

I know that a Hobbs switch allows current flow at specific pressures, but I want something that cuts out current at anything above 1 PSI and gives full current at 0 PSI and any vacuum after that....

So what would that component be called and where would I get it?

Thanks,

Chris

Duh....after reading the fuel psi thread I see that Tim used a Vac switch...

How much was the switch and where did you get it Tim?

How does it get wired in?

EDIT - gotta love Google.... http://www.borelmfg.com/vacsw.pdf

I assume I send 12 V to one side of the switch and run the wire from the other side of the switch to the LED - when Vac occurs, the switch closes and sends 12V to my LED....

Not cheap but Racor dealer pn RK20163

Body is gnd, so you need a good path for that, no teflon tape on threads teflon pipe sealer paste will work, single pole switch so when it closes circuit is complete, put in 12V led in series with the vac sw, and when IP has to suck hard vac goes up closes sw completes the path led comes on you know lift is dead/weak, or a clogged/clogging filter somewhere.

Also handy is another led to let you know lift is seeing 12V, I've got 2 green for pump 1 or pump 2 power depending which is switched on, and 2 reds pre lift filter or pre IP filter, probaly doing away with pre lift filter led and go with single one as mentioned earlier.

Thanks Tim....would you mind posting a pic of the cab of your truck?

It must look like a cockpit....

It must look like a cockpit....

not yet but I'm not finished with adding gauges :eek:, I get a lot of data from my scanner and I have a couple of temp gauges slaved in, not real purty been considering adding a PC to do what scanner does so I don't run out of places to put them, eliminated a IC in & out temp/press with the IC going away

not yet but I'm not finished with adding gauges :eek:, I get a lot of data from my scanner and I have a couple of temp gauges slaved in, not real purty been considering adding a PC to do what scanner does so I don't run out of places to put them, eliminated a IC in & out temp/press with the IC going away

I bet your scanner has a permanent spot inbetween the 2 front seats and hasn't been disconnected for months, (unless you were driving the burb, of course) :)

Back