• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

EGT's towing

trotorx2

Reaction score
Mod's I'm starting this here to see if I get more replys. Delete which ever thread you feel you feel is needed.

I've got a 5th wheel that supposed to weigh 11k empty. What is the highest sustaned EGT's I can run without causing damage to the engine? I've seen almost 1200 going over overpasses and a little higher going over bridges. It is flat here along the gulf coast but I plan on trips north thru Arkansas which has some pretty good climbs.
I expect that with some water and my 2 motorcycles it will weigh around 13k.

What do you have your tuner set at?

Most tuners have a tow setting to keep fuel and heat down so you do not burn out your motor. If it does not have one, I would set it at the lowest possible setting. If it helps lower your EGT's than great.

So... The latest Diesel World and Diesel Power mags talked about this. The short of it is
1200*F sustained towing; And 1400*F for quick "racing" bursts, with stock stuff.

Thanks
I can easily hit 1200*. I'm seeing around 1000* going up bridges but I'm in 5th & TH and running around 60mph. All other temps are normal.
Like I said it is flat here so when I get to the mountains I'll need to be careful.

I tow a bumper pull 30' trailer at 8500# it is just a big sail. When I come to a hill,I just watch my EGT gauge and Down Shift to the next lower gear. The down shift will bring the RPM"s up and the EGT should drop and be ok. The EGT will stay lower with the higher rpm's in 4th gear. I have been on some long grades an egt are ok in 4th.

Well I re-read, for "racing" Diesel World's "experts" said a stock set-up could stand 1600 for a quick burst. I limit my self to 1400 and have hit that several times. I dont tow much but when i do it's around 8500# 70-75mph interstate and stay around 1000*F.

Dave

Just an off note, but if you use the Allison TOW HAUL setting on the shifter, it should keep the temps a "little" lower by keeping the revs higher.

Mod's I'm starting this here to see if I get more replys. Delete which ever thread you feel you feel is needed.

I've got a 5th wheel that supposed to weigh 11k empty. What is the highest sustaned EGT's I can run without causing damage to the engine? I've seen almost 1200 going over overpasses and a little higher going over bridges. It is flat here along the gulf coast but I plan on trips north thru Arkansas which has some pretty good climbs.
I expect that with some water and my 2 motorcycles it will weigh around 13k.

I have never been able to get a solid answer on how high EGT is OK, but have been told that in the 13's for short periods is OK. I often pull heavy weights totalling 30-35,000# through the Ozarks. Uphill is continually in/near the 12's, and fairly often in the 13's. Of course, on level and downhill, it drops back down. I have not had any problems with it.

I know the higher the power setting the faster the EGT's will rise, BUT to my knowledge the danger of 1300 is the same whether set on 1 or on 5.

Today I pulled the trailer to Galveston to work. I put the Boost stick back in to see what change it made. I noticed that the EGT's were about 200* cooler but my boost went up as expected and my mpg dropped about 2mpg, but I also ran close to 70 mph instead of 65. I never saw much over 1100* going over the Kemah bridge, where as without the stick I saw over 1200*

A note on my mpg my first trip the trailer was empty and today I had a full tank of fuel onboard for the generator and my Saxon in the back. So I was heaver than the first trip.

I was seeing around 25 psi on the boost gauge and it was moving around quite alot compared to with out the boost stick.

So, from what you guys are saying if I try to not spend much time above 1200* I'll be ok.

Otis, 1250 used to be the norm for towing any sizable load up a hill. The problem today is that we've got so many generation engines and different turbos from eachother so what's hot for one turbo, may not necessarily be hot for another one.

There are people who've run 1600 degrees sustained while pulling. I personally wouldn't but people have done it. Others have hit every bit of 2000 degrees with a sled pull. I think that's ridiculous personally.

A brief spike to 1500 or 1600 is not gonna kill anything. Running sustained 1600 degrees for hours and hours on end will start to melt things internally.

1200 is perfectly acceptable. 1300 isn't all that bad either. Remember, we're talking sustained temps, not a spike while climbing a hill. If you guys aren't wrapping the gauge at the red line each and every time, I wouldn't even worry about it. It's not these motors cant take any abuse you throw at them. Hell, these things will hit every bit of 1250 degrees bone stock so it just depends on how hard you want to push it.

Otis, 1250 used to be the norm for towing any sizable load up a hill. The problem today is that we've got so many generation engines and different turbos from eachother so what's hot for one turbo, may not necessarily be hot for another one.

There are people who've run 1600 degrees sustained while pulling. I personally wouldn't but people have done it. Others have hit every bit of 2000 degrees with a sled pull. I think that's ridiculous personally.

A brief spike to 1500 or 1600 is not gonna kill anything. Running sustained 1600 degrees for hours and hours on end will start to melt things internally.

1200 is perfectly acceptable. 1300 isn't all that bad either. Remember, we're talking sustained temps, not a spike while climbing a hill. If you guys aren't wrapping the gauge at the red line each and every time, I wouldn't even worry about it. It's not these motors cant take any abuse you throw at them. Hell, these things will hit every bit of 1250 degrees bone stock so it just depends on how hard you want to push it.
That is kinda what I thought also, Nick:thumbsup:

So I never had gauges with "stock" tunes, pulling like trotorx2 is doing what are the "stock" temps?
I mean he's not really stock either but what would one expect with a bone stock truck temp wise?

So I never had gauges with "stock" tunes, pulling like trotorx2 is doing what are the "stock" temps?
I mean he's not really stock either but what would one expect with a bone stock truck temp wise?

I'm kinda curious about this too. I think I'll put the stock tune back in for my trip home next week.

Back