• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

egt temps?

offthewall

Reaction score
i just finally installed my egt probe, installed it in the passenger side exhaust manifold. what im wondering is wat temps should i see? wat kind of temp are you guys seeing? wat should my top limit be? its kinda late to do the stock level test since i already have 4" straight piped. thanks

I see about 700-800 when I cruise around there, but with the temps getting colder there you might see less.
When I really get into the throttle I see anywhere from 1100-1600.

I see about 600-800 cruising. I have seen up to 1300 at wot...once it gets up to that I usually back off. I have the Predator and straight piped Silverline 4".

I see about 600-800 cruising. I have seen up to 1300 at wot...once it gets up to that I usually back off. I have the Predator and straight piped Silverline 4".

I've seen the same on my 07. Normal highway temps are around 700. Ive seen 1300 and some change getting up hills but since there are no hills here, I havent seen hotter than 1100 or so...And I'm running a 4" CAT back...

I've seen 1802. Peak, short burst.
My gauge starts to flash a warning at 1300. When I'm towing I don't like to over that. If I hit 1350 I'll start backing out until drops below 1300.

I'm told that running above 1350*F is like playing against a stacked deck, It's not "if" it's "when". I start to let my foot off when i get to 1250*F

Prolonged temps at or above 1300* can and will destroy your turbo...then that stuff can also enter your engine. :nanawoot:

Prolonged temps at or above 1300* can and will destroy your turbo...then that stuff can also enter your engine. :nanawoot:

True, but it isnt just that. A brief spike to 1600 isnt gonna hurt anything. Running sustained 1500-1600 is when you start to melt things. There were several heavy haulers who ran 1600 sustained and never had a problem...I could never do that personally. I hit 1350 and I was backing out of it just as quick as I got in it. To each their own though.

Randy, you're not gonna see temps real high unless you're sled pulling...I wouldnt worry too much about runnin around town.

Last edited:
True, but it isnt just that. A brief spike to 1600 isnt gonna hurt anything. Running sustained 1500-1600 is when you start to melt things. There were several heavy haulers who ran 1600 sustained and never had a problem...I could never o that personally. I hit 1350 and I was backing out of it just as quick as I got in it. To each their own though.

Randy, you're not gonna see temps real high unless you're sled pulling...I wouldnt worry too much about runnin around town.

Yep, that is why I said Prolonged. :deal:

I didn't know guys ran constant temps of 1600 without a problem though...I like to keep it on the safe side like you do....pretty much once I hit 1300 I'm off the throttle.

Back