• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

EGT Gauge Reading Incorrectly

RYDNHI4X4

Halt Halt Or I'll Release My Dog
Reaction score
Just happened. Coming out of the movies (Fast & Furious) some guy in a 2500HD Gasser gets froggy with me. As I pass him on the Interstate doing 120mph. I get home home and notice that my EGT Gauge isn't working. It now reads 1100 and keeps rising like it would at 300.

Does this mean the gauge or the Pyro is messed up?

Most likely the Pyro they only last so long . I've replaced mine once already. Same thing odd readings.

Just got off the phone with Autometer and that's what they said. The thermocouple went bad or should I say it got cooked at 120mph.

They had me disconnect the pyro wires, turn on power to see where the gauge would read. It read 0 for me. I reconnected and then started the truck and it went straight to 1200.

Sound familiar to you Mackin?

Autometer (Cory Villani from Tech/Service) called back and said since I don't have the receipt anymore just send him the old one and he would send a brand new one free of charge.

Great service from Autometer.

Thats great to hear Steve. Its nice when a company stands behind their product like that.

That's what I was going to suggest. Mine had done that once, but went back to normal after a while. It does not react as quickly now though. It's slower and smoother.

Pretty much

I wish I knew I could have gotten a free one. Mine was like 5+ years old,had a 'hot' life. ):h

Mackin,
After you replaced the old one did you notice that the temps were reading about 100 degrees hotter then the old probe?

Most likely the Pyro they only last so long . I've replaced mine once already. Same thing odd readings.

Hmmmm I don't recall but it may have been losing a accurate signal for awhile and you hadn't noticed. Also there is a fast acting thermocouple EGT probe available and also depth of the probe could change readings some.

I really never pay attention to just cruising EGT temps at say seventy MPH. There are so many variables that could change readings. Ambient temperatures ,road conditions terrain, etc etc

I just watch mine so to lift when humping up a grade or when towing with a big program to lift for extended pulls up hills.

Mine IIR was giving me weird idle tempatures and would only get up to I believe 1200 degrees,then pin the needle,just screwed all over the place

It's been in the 50 degree range here and I can easily get the temps to 1200 if I give it some good throttle. I just don't remember it doing that so fast, but like you said the old probe was 2 years old and could have been losing it's ability slowly without noticing by the naked eye.

I also think it's one of those fast acting thermocouple probes cause that thing climbs quick.

Thanks

Hmmmm I don't recall but it may have been losing a accurate signal for awhile and you hadn't noticed. Also there is a fast acting thermocouple EGT probe available and also depth of the probe could change readings some.

I really never pay attention to just cruising EGT temps at say seventy MPH. There are so many variables that could change readings. Ambient temperatures ,road conditions terrain, etc etc

I just watch mine so to lift when humping up a grade or when towing with a big program to lift for extended pulls up hills.

Mine IIR was giving me weird idle tempatures and would only get up to I believe 1200 degrees,then pin the needle,just screwed all over the place
IIRC it is supposed to stick into the exhaust 1/8", if you stick it in more I could see that causing wierd temps and premature death.

Well guys it took one week. I sent the busted probe to Autometer and I got a new probe free of charge.

Great service those guys are.

Back