• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

EGR plug??

buddy

Reaction score
In my 94 1500, what is the easiest way to just make the EGR not perform its function? Remove vacuum line? Or do I really have to put a blockoff plate?

I am using a chip from a truck without EGR, so that should stop it from working, but then do I leave the vacuum sensor there, but with no hoses on it to work as the barometric pressure sensor?

thanks

On OBD-I just plugging vac line is sufficient, OBD-I does not monitor EGR vent, OBD-II does, but you can still be flowing EGR, if spring in EGR is weak at hi power EGR can lift off the seat, also the gasket between upper & lower intake "mystery gasket" that seals of center EGR port sometimes leak, they are 1 time use gaskets.

I didn't plug mine when I had it so I don't know what size freeze plug is used, I now have F intake complete, prior to that I shimmed under EGR valve, I put sheet metal between EGR and the upper intake to block EGR port, and still allowed the EGR to function without coding, yet did not flow EGR.

I have a new intake too, but just broke off some golf tees and plugged the vacuum lines for now and removed the hose from the vacuum sensor, so it works as the Barometer.

Since yours is "blind" OBD-I you could go with a TM to control boost and do a vac pump elimination, OBD-IIs monitor vac applied vs vented to "sense" EGR position

What about the MAP sensor onthe firewall? Do you still need it with VAC elimination? How to fool the ECM without VAC?

With a F chip no, not so sure with OBD-I S truck, pull it & let us know if it codes then just plug back in, my guess however is no otherwise the plugging of the EGR supply line would set code as flow never changes, OBD-IIs look for EGR actuation via changes of vac applied/vented and read by firewall baro, after start I think since code isn't generated like in OBD-II with plugged EGR vac line, OBD-Is only look at firewall baro as baro. OBD-II Fs use the MAP for baro at start then for boost input after the start baro data loads to the PCM.

So for mine, I need that vacuum sensor plugged in electircally still for the Baro sensor, right, just not hooked to vacuum. Is that different on an L65 "F" engine? Do you guys not need that firewall sensor?

OBD-II L65 has 1 sensor, OBD-I F & S have 2 sensors, Yes if my assumption is that so long as you leave it connected electrically it will be fine, but I don't have access to a S OBD-I truck to test the theory on,

Back