• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Earthquake impact from harbor freight.....

GMCYA

Resident Coonass
Reaction score
Yea, yea, normally I wouldn't even bother to open a post that has harbor freight in the title either but my so called heavy duty crapsman 1/2" impact bit the dust. It just locked up so I went to a friends to borrow an impact. He handed me what I assumed to be a POS harbor freight special. I wasn't expecting much, but he swore it was one of the best ones he has and he has IR's hanging on the peg board. Reluctantly I toted it home and gave it a whirl. I was impressed with it removing a harmonic balancer bolt so I decided to try it on my truck lug nuts which are notoriously impossible to remove and it zipped them off. I tried several other test and I was so impressed that I went and bought one. How long it will last is yet to be seen but I haven't found a bolt/nut yet that it wouldn't remove, granted I do not work on heavy equipment. For $89 this lil tool is an animal.

I use the marvel mystery tool oil on every tool before I connect them to the hose. I have a big bottle that was free. I have never taken apart an air tool before, I wonder if there is hope for my old craftsman? Maybe just something caught in it?

I've got one too, same deal it's a much better impact than most. I've had mine for about 2 yrs, but I don't use it real often

That's promising. My crapsman impact only made it 3 years and the ratchet sucks also, it hangs up a lot. That was my last trip to sears ever again! I'll admit to owning a few tools from HF but they are specialty, hardly ever needed like small pullers etc. They make a small ball joint press that makes changing the bearings on a honda atv a much less painless process. it pushes the ball joint threads out of the arms without the need for ruining the threads with a hammer. The blind bearing puller they sell has paid for itself a few times over, I get asked to borrow it a lot especially for pilot bearings.

I've got one; bought it when I did the brakes on my 06. It took out the caliper bracket bolts that were held in place with that nasty super strength loctite. Had to crank the air up to 120, but it did what a 36" breaker bar and a cheater with me standing on it wouldn't.

It's a little bit on the heavy side, but hey for as often as it gets used... can't beat the price.

Biggest thing with Harbor Freight that i've experienced is you have to research their tools on their website. If the reviews are any less than 4 to 4.5 stars than I don't touch it. That rule of thumb generally works for everything.

Back