• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

E C M Reflash ????

I would just install, do the theft learn, and roll with it as is if it was me.

I was able to get the VIN# for the Suburban that ECM came out of:

3GNGK26F3XG158961

Is there some way to look up if that is a 4x4? Most of the K2500s were 4x4 with automatics.

Update: I was able to find an on-line VIN # decoder and this vehicle was basically the same as mine. Automatic, 4wd, same gear ratios, etc. I will order this ECM and give mine a Chinese heart transplant to pass smog.

Last edited:
Theft Learn? Is that the KOKO thing?

Yes. Only need to do it if the truck does not start. Or more specifically, it might 'catch' and then immedieatly die. Also the 'Secirity' light will stay on or blink.

Here is the KOKO procedure to reset the Passlock.
http://repairpal.com/gm-passlock-security-light-issues

When I got another ECM, it took me 3 tries to finally start the truck. While letting the ECM do its thing, consider attaching a battery charger 'just-cause'.

Truly hoping this year's smog check goes a lot smoother than last time . . .

A little update.

I went and tested my ODB II by plugging in my Centech Code Reader. It powers on, but won't link up, whereas in the past I could link up and pull codes. I haven't had any codes in years.

I tested the DLC plug with a test light and confirmed that terminal 16 is power and 4 and 5 are grounds. In the course of testing I shorted at my auxilary power plugs and burned the #7 fuse. The code reader would not power on until I replaced that fuse.

I went through grounds on engine. They're mounted at the rear of the intake manifold as they should be. I pulled, cleaned, sprayed with corrosion block and reinstalled. Did the same with the battery grounds. Code reader still will not link up to OBD II. Engine runs fine.

ECM Flashes.

I can do 1996+ ECM Flashes to stock calibration for situations like this or replacements.

They all require the VIN, which get's programmed into the ECM. With the VIN I get the correct original calibration for the vehicle for it's options.

1998+ have to do the Passlock Security relearn procedure and are system's specific (must be from a 98, 99 etc.)

1996 and 1997 are plug and play (96 with 96 and 97 with 97), but calibrations will be off if from another truck.

With that said, any 1996 to 2002 6.5 ECM will flash with any program. (Example: I can flash a 1996 ECM with 1999 data).

Cheers,

John

Back