• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Dying question.

Extremesounds13

Reaction score
I wanted to ask a question before I started really getting after this. Yesterday evening I went out to start my truck and the glow plugs only cycled for about a second(weird I thought) I cranked it and it didn't start:rolleyes5: so I shut the key off waited a second then turned it on; the glow plugs only went on for a second again and the truck didn't start. I tried one more time and turned the key on and the glow plugs cycled normal(about 8 seconds) and the truck fired right up. I never have any starting issues, at least since I replaced the PMD last summer so this was way out of the ordinary. The truck ran fine all night last night. This morning I came out and it was cold. I let the glow plugs cycle (normal cycle) and the truck fired right up. I turned on the defrost and headed back in the house. I came out about 20 minutes later and the truck wasn't running but the fan was blowing and the dash lights were on. I shut the key off and cranked it and it fired right up. The truck ran fine all day and started fine to, but tonight when I got home I parked the truck and was letting it run to cool down and after about two minutes of idling the truck died. I shut the key off and then turned it on and it fired right up. What is going on????? It doesn't seem like the truck is acting like when the PMD went out, but I don't really know. Could it be a fuel problem, or a problem with the cold. The truck has been great all winter though. I will do the check list tomorrow but just wanted to get some input first. Sorry for the long post.

Do you have a block heater you can plug in? Just to rule out the cold as an issue.

The only time my rig has had an issue starting was last week, it was right at 0*f and I had a loose connection on one of my batteries (ground). I tightened that back up, hooked up another truck and let her crank. It was still too cold to start, so I took my wife's hair dryer blew hot air into the intake. I let that run for about 5 minutes and then cranked her. First time she didn't start, the 2nd time she did and has started right up for me every time since.

So I might suggest just verifying good ground connections.

Ill check my connections tomorrow too, as far as the cold and connections, how could the truck run and start great all day today and then when I get home to let it cool down it dies? just curious

I am not sure. Definitely something in front of our nose but could not see.
Well, you are the one who have access to the truck and we don't. In addition, we are not psychic.

So, please DO the diagnostic checklist which is 2nd item on the stickies.
All we can do is give you blind suggestion without knowing the truck.

There are a few things that can go wrong electrical delivery and fuel delivery.

Back