• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DVD/CD Drives

SfcJones

A(ACLU) SGT. SLAUGHTER
Reaction score
Can Malware/Spyware....etc.... prohibit a opitical drive from working? My DVD Drive on my XPS will not work and the Dell Service tech from overseas somewhere told me that it could cause a problem...never heard of anything like that before. They even ran a rogue Adware program called SpywareSTOP that found 703 issues....even said my adware programs were spyware. It took another tech to tell me to uninstall that program because it was rogue. But atleast they are sending me a new DVD drive.

I suppose it is possible. I'm not sure why the person that wrote the virus would want to disable it, but it's possible.

It can't physically hurt an optical drive; what it CAN do is re-direct your commands (or system calls) to a different address, or change the parameters of your drivers, which are more serious problems.

This next part won't help youwith your DVD drive, sarge, but I need to point out that people should be very careful about what software they install on their PC... lots of programs that 'claim' to be cleaners, scanners, or helpful tools are in fact viruses or spyware/malware:

You want to check for spyware or malware, use reputable scanners. Adaware, Spybot SD, SuperAntiSpyware, PestPatrol, Ewido, MalwareBytes, or Webroot.

You want to check for viruses, same drill... use reputable scanners only; McAfee, AWG, TrendMicro, Norton, Kapersky, etc.

Read this sticky. It isn't by any means the compleat compendium of scan/removal tools, but I've been doing this stuff for a while, and I've seen more than enough people fooled into installing spyware or malware onto their computers because they THOUGHT they were helping...

Don't believe everything you read. Even if I wrote it. Every user is still responsible for anything they install.

Back