• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

durango fuel milage

chevyCowboy

I might be crazy but i ain't dumb
Reaction score
any one know how to get better ecconomy out of a 2001 4.7 durango my Gf bought one and its gets worse milage than my 6.5 and just about as bad a as my 88 with the 350

Find fuel without ethanol first. The 4.7L HATES E-10 with a passion. My 00 DAKOTA would get 20-21 MPG highway all day long on regular fuel, but was lucky to break 16-17 on E-10. Also you can add in a K&N filter and put a MAGNAFLOW muffler in it(the MAGNAFLOW seems to be better on the 4.7L than the FLOWMASTER as they drone pretty noticeably). SUPERCHIPS has a tuner for the 4.7L as well. Another easy mod you can try is to relocate the intake air temp sensor out of the intake maniflod and into the air induction tube. A set of HO cams would be another good upgrade that they say is worth 1 or 2 MPG, and if you add in the HO intake should get you about a 20-30 HP increase with stock programming. Also you can find somebody at a DODGE dealer and have them flash your TCM to a JEEP 5 speed calibration which will give you an extra overdrive(or find a used JEEP TCM with the 5 speed flash in it), that should help you out a bit as well.

My '01 Durango with 4.7 got around 17 mpg, never much more than that. There isn't much you can do to improve it. Do you have 3.55 gears, better for mileage than the 3.92?

What's worse than an '01 with 4.7? An '03 Durango R/T with 5.9, which I own now. If I'm careful I get 14.5 mpg.

One thing I did on the '03 was go from 35 psi all around to 40 psi, picked up 1 to 1.5 mpg.

Fermanator makes some good suggestions, but what usually happens when you add better exhaust, chip, intake, etc. is that instead of enjoying the better mileage you enjoy the added power and step on it more, dropping mpg.

For more info check out the Durango Owners Club, www.durangoclub.com.

Does the front axle have a disconnect ,I know some dakotas don't in that body style,if you can unlock the front end that should help some,all the older Dakotas like a 92 4x4 had a vacuum disconnect on the front axle. Headers should also help,the 4.7's have bad exhaust manifolds and on almost all of them the rear manifold bolts are snapped off.

The exhaust crossover is another choke point if your after added power. The 3.92's don't kill the milage like you would think, and they actually help the milage in stop and go driving. If you have 3.92's with the 5 speed TCM flash you get the best of both worlds.

i really think that TCM needs to be done i really hate the way it shifts read some where that it can de done cheap somehow dont remember now

My son's Dakota gets 9 mpg, but yet it has the 5.9 engine in it. It is the RT Model.

Just wondering, how does that 5 speed mod work? Are there 5 gears in there and they only use 4, or does it combine two gears, or what?

Just wondering, how does that 5 speed mod work? Are there 5 gears in there and they only use 4, or does it combine two gears, or what?

The 45RFE behind the 4.7L from 98-01 has the ability for 9 gears actually. It is an all clutch type trans like the ALLISON. 5 forward speeds though are about all that are useable as the other 4 are so close to another it is ridiculous. Also the 45RFE and 545 RFE have 2 different 2nd gears in them, one for upshifts and one for downshifts. The update is simply to flash in the updated TCM calibration for the 98-01 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE. It adds in the 5 th gear, makes it hold OD longer, as well as modifies the lock-up points.

Back