• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Duramax Filter Guide

Ok,
So after about 2 hours at the local Caterpillar dealer, I finally got a list of parts to retrofit a 364-5287 UHE fuel filter to my pickup. The 364-5287 is an “ultra high efficiency” upgrade to the “advanced efficiency” grade 1R-0751. The most recent filter testing standard, ISO 16889, doesn’t test below 4 microns, so there is no “standard” to test these “UHE” filters against. The popular 1R-0749 & 1R-0750 are both “advance efficiency”, so the UHE filters go beyond those in terms of micron ratings. If space is a limitation, you can also use the CAT 306-9199 filter, which has less capacity than the 364-5287. I would not recommend using these on the vacuum side of a lift pump. You'll likely need some pressure to get the proper flow them.

The smaller UHE filter (306-9199) is used on 3116, 3126, C7 and C9 industrial engines, up to 360 hp/ 925 lb-ft of torque, so I feel pretty good about it, and the filter head, feeding enough fuel to my 7.3L. I even found it being used on a C15 engine (926 cubic inches) on a generator set.

The filter head is part #141-5138, it was about $40; sorry I can’t find the receipt so I don’t have the exact price. The top of the filter head has a place for a manual priming pump, which I blocked off with a cover, part #6N-4414 ($11.42) and gasket #1P-0436 ($1.39). You’ll need two bolts to secure it, part #6V-2315 ($0.26) and #6V-5218 ($0.37). Yes, the two bolts are different sizes, but the CAT bolts have a nice oxide finish to them.

There’s also a place to plumb in a fuel pressure sensor if you like, but I plugged it with part #9S-4182 ($8.25). That plug seals on an o-ring, which is part #6V-5048 ($3.49), which is rated for fuel use, but I don’t know if it will resist bio-diesel. Sorry, I don't have the size for that plug.

Finally, the inlet and outlet are also o-ring seals, and those o-rings were part #3J-1907 ($0.89), and you’ll need two of those. These were the fuel rated o-rings recommended by CAT. The inlet and outlets are -6 Straight Thread O-Ring (STOR), using 9/16-18 UNF-2B threads.

The threaded stud on the filter head is 7/8-14, and the inside hole is 0.372” in diameter. The most restrictive part of the assembly that I can see is the cover plate for the fuel primer pump which is 0.312”, but I might run a drill through that to open it up a bit.

The head has two mounting holes, 0.36” in diameter, and 3.415 inches apart (outside edge to outside edge).

Below are some pics comparing the CAT unit to a NAPA 4770 with Donaldson P551313. The CAT 364-5287 is 3.4” in diameter, the P551313 is 3.675”. Please note, these two filters are not interchangeable, they’re just here for size comparison.

IMG_0354.jpg

IMG_0348.jpg

IMG_0349.jpg

IMG_0345.jpg

IMG_0352.jpg

Thank you for the nice detailed update on these filters! I take it no luck yet on the 1-14 thread UHE filters? Is CAT going to come out with a UHE direct replacement (1R0749/750) in a 1-14 thread filter?

Thank you for the nice detailed update on these filters! I take it no luck yet on the 1-14 thread UHE filters? Is CAT going to come out with a UHE direct replacement (1R0749/750) in a 1-14 thread filter?

Cat has not had any machines or on road engines using 1"-14 thread filters since around 2001 per Empire CAT here in AZ. However, the various filters that use that thread size will probably still be used for a very long time for the simple fact that many older machines still run it. Not to mention the groups of us that use them for upgrades on our own rigs.

I went to Empire CAT today and picked up some of the stuff mentioned above for my own fuel system. It seems that there are price differences on the parts, but even the parts guy was surprised at how cheap the final order came out to be.
-Filter Base: P/N: 141-5138 ($30.54)
-Cover Plate: P/N: 6N-4414 ($13.61)
-Cover Gasket: P/N: 1P-0436 ($1.72)
-Bolt: P/N: 6V-2315 ($.32)
-Bolt: P/N: 6V-5218 ($.46)
-Filter: P/N: 1R-0751 ($16.22)

I chose to go with the original "HE" 1R-0751 filter as the location I went to to pick these parts up did not have any of the "UHE" filters in stock (neither 306-9199 or 364-5287). According to the parts guy, the smaller filter (306-9199) could be ordered and dropped off at there shop separately, but the larger 364-5287 filter needed to be ordered in a case of 12 :eek: This may be something that varies from Dealer to Dealer though. By using the above mentioned base, one can easily upgrade to the "UHE" filters with no trouble at all simply by changing filters. Seeing as the ever popular 1"-14 thread WIX base is $40 on its own, not including the filter, this definitely seems like a worthwhile upgrade.

Thanks for that info btw...

So has anyone found a good cheap source for the cat filter 364-5287?

my local Cat dealer wants $32 + shipping...said the only place his computer shows a couple are in Illinois...

If they are that pricey and hard to come by then I may just stick with the Cat 1R0751...

Thanks for that info btw...

So has anyone found a good cheap source for the cat filter 364-5287?

my local Cat dealer wants $32 + shipping...said the only place his computer shows a couple are in Illinois...

If they are that pricey and hard to come by then I may just stick with the Cat 1R0751...

Pepp,
That sounds about right. When the parts guy at EMPIRE CAT here in AZ told me he had to order the UHE filters I told him not to worry about it and just took the original Advanced Efficiency. Wasn't worth the hassle yet IMHO. I'm sure the price might go down a little bit once then start using those filters a little more. Afterall, I can't imagine they have been out all that long. Whats a stock DMAX filter cost nowadays anyway?

Pepp,
That sounds about right. When the parts guy at EMPIRE CAT here in AZ told me he had to order the UHE filters I told him not to worry about it and just took the original Advanced Efficiency. Wasn't worth the hassle yet IMHO. I'm sure the price might go down a little bit once then start using those filters a little more. Afterall, I can't imagine they have been out all that long. Whats a stock DMAX filter cost nowadays anyway?

i haven't bought any in a while...I was ordering 3 at a time for around $19 or so...

I have since eliminated the factory filter after the rebuild and was only using the nicktane with the Cat 1R0749

I'm putting on the AirdogII 165 this weekend and I guess until i can get a good price on the UHE mentioned I will probably use the cat 1R0751 on the first filter change...and use the donaldson PF550550 as a replacement element for the AD's water separator...

This is new to me, but the Caterpillar 319-0844 Fuel Filter is in the Ultra High Efficiency line, and has 1"-14 threads. They've updated their website where it tells the thread size and pitch recently.

Cat also offers filters with "radial" seals and "axial" seals, and I don't know which type this one has.

Maybe I'll have to swing by and get the Cat dealer to order me one and post pics.

Thank you for the update. Last month I went to my local CAT dealer and asked. After about 20 minutes, they could not and did not have any info on the CAT UHE filters, and could not tell me if any had 1-14 threads. I ended up leaving with a 1R0749 and 1R0750 HE filters. So thanks for the update and I will check them out.

Also, I just found two UHE Filter/Water Separators with 1-14 threads. I would not expect the UHE primary filter/water separators to have the same micron rating as the UHE secondary filters do, but I could be wrong.

The 364-5286 Fuel Water Separator, is 9.1" tall.
The 299-1893 Fuel Water Separator, is 10.8" tall.
The 319-0844 Fuel Filter, is 7.1" tall.

I have no idea about the gasket diameters, or if the separators require a bowl to use.

That's some interesting info right there. I have friends that work for CAT and I was told that CAT no longer uses the 1-14" thread filters because none of the new machines use them. Actually, IIRC, they haven't used that since around 2000...

Maybe enough of us buy that thread style filter enough they warranted making a UHE version. :D

Actually, my latest interest has been in the CUMMINS "Lubricity Doser" filters. Supposedly, as fuel flows across the filter media, it bleeds a lubricant into the filtered fuel headed upstream to the Injection pump(OR Fuel pump). My next fuel system I build will more than likely include one of these guys. Would be kinda nice to just stop at a fuel station fill up and go rather than having to measure and add in 2 stroke oil for lubrication.
http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/html/en/products/fuel/additives/lub_doser_systems.html

Back