• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Duramax fan and clutch mount question

So did anyone get the right clutch to fit?

I just ordered a 1580690 fan blade ( 9 blade plastic) and have a 6 bolt stock clutch and water pump.

I figured after 80k miles it might also be time to change the fan clutch...and I was wondering what worked? Also if/and when my water pump goes out....am I gonna have to get a different fan clutch?

I have some confusion about the newer better 99 and up pump not mating to the fan clutch...something about threaded verses not?

Or should I just keep on using the stock clutch ( 6 bolt) with the new fan blade when It arrives?

I'm a little Confused...and what won't fit Veg_out?

The 6 bolt clutch is scrap metal... It only works with the 6 bolt ineffective 6 blade fan.

Pull the oil cooler(s) and clean behind then as well as cleaning the radiator while you are at it. These trucks need this cleaning often.

Order a Hayden fan clutch from a 1998 model year. Some of the low temp clutch offerings Like the Kennedy Diesel clutch work very well. Any 4 bolt 6.5 diesel fan clutch will work but the year given is for sure a 4 bolt water pump and 4 bolt fan.

The 2000 year is a thread on water pump and clutch. If you are changing water pumps to a HO pump now is the time to decide to go with a thread on setup or a 4 bolt setup. Advantage with a Thread on pump is better balance flow to each bank, a problem all older pumps suffer from - but I don't see it as a critical problem.

You may or may not have to trim the fan shroud for the 21" Duramax fan to clear. Check it before engine start! So far 2 out of 3 have fit w/o trimming for me.

Ok ...So I need to get a 98 Hayden Clutch...as I'm not changing the pump yet....also I might have to trim some plastic...thanx I'll let you know how it went.

I would reccommend you check out either Heath's or Kennedy's fan clutch. I tried the Hayden severe duty fan clutch and had very poor results. Temps were fine UNTIL I towed. Then I had big problems keeping temps below 210* everytime I went up a hill, even the milder hills. The fan never would come on before 210*.

Don

Believe the HDs run at a higher percent of waterpump shaft speed ,but do not open at lower temps than oem.

So did anyone get the right clutch to fit?

I just ordered a 1580690 fan blade ( 9 blade plastic) and have a 6 bolt stock clutch and water pump.

I figured after 80k miles it might also be time to change the fan clutch...and I was wondering what worked? Also if/and when my water pump goes out....am I gonna have to get a different fan clutch?

I have some confusion about the newer better 99 and up pump not mating to the fan clutch...something about threaded verses not?

Or should I just keep on using the stock clutch ( 6 bolt) with the new fan blade when It arrives?

I'm a little Confused...and what won't fit Veg_out?

I ended up ordered the whole D-max fan and clutch kit. Works great and well worth not having to try to fit parts together. I had to trim the inside lip of the top radiator shroud and a little off the bottom top sides. I have noticed a huge difference in cooling.

Did you try the spring mod handcannon?

Yes, I did.

The factory bent end of the spring that you modify was only 1/4" long to start with. So I was only able to modify the length by 1/8" and still have it be able to engage the clutch body. This did not help any.

Since the old fan clutch I took off had a long end on the spring I tried putting that spring onto the new fan clutch and modifying it for length. This did not help either. So I returned the fan clutch.

I'm thinking that either I got a defective clutch, or that the clutch was designed to come on at too high a temperature for these diesel engines.

Don

Okay I ordered the Imperial Severe Duty 216013 Clutch.
I found it at advance auto parts online for $136 and there were many online coupon codes for them and picked it up for $106
This is the same as the Hayden 2839 (as Brooklyn Tow pointed out, thanx)....let you know all how it goes...

I used an acdelco 15-4674 fan clutch from amazon. I paid a little over 70 bucks for it. Then I got a Duramax fan and mounted it up. Put in the correct delco thermostat and it's been perfect ever since. Works good in Mississippi.

Good deal.....SD fan clutch for $106.

I used an acdelco 15-4674 fan clutch from amazon. I paid a little over 70 bucks for it. Then I got a Duramax fan and mounted it up. Put in the correct delco thermostat and it's been perfect ever since. Works good in Mississippi.

Is that stock for 97+ (and up)....seems to be a good deal also, well done!

Back