• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Duramax battery cables

Reaction score
Im in the process of building my first set of 2/0 Cables for the Duramax and I have to ask a couple questions, do you ever use the + connection that junctions in the Red Box? Im wondering how necessary it is, If I do use it I will run a 2 gauge wire to it and the 2/0 will go straight from the Battery to the starter and not have the junction at the Red Box, I also don't have the ground that runs separate from the rest of the cables, I assume it goes to the engine but I dont know where or how long that cable is, Thanks Bruce

I use the red battery box for most of my 12v add ons instead of a ring terminal added on the battery... my airdogII, electric water pump and something else?(maybe it's the alternator wire?)...not sure on which ground you are talking about/missing but IIRC there are at least two that go to the engine block about 4 inches back(from front of block) and about 2-3 inches above the oil pan on each side of the block...the wires run in a loom mounted to the oil pan across the front of the oil pan and around to the starter...It's dark out, but I could look in the a.m. and double check...

I use the red battery box for most of my 12v add ons instead of a ring terminal added on the battery... my airdogII, electric water pump and something else?(maybe it's the alternator wire?)...not sure on which ground you are talking about/missing but IIRC there are at least two that go to the engine block about 4 inches back(from front of block) and about 2-3 inches above the oil pan on each side of the block...the wires run in a loom mounted to the oil pan across the front of the oil pan and around to the starter...It's dark out, but I could look in the a.m. and double check...
Thanks I figured that was what its used for, The Factory setup runs the starter Cable thru that box, Im thinking a 2 gauge wire would be plenty for the Alt and accessories,thats what GM used to go to the starter, The Alt cable is quite small 6 ga. with a 50 amp fusible link, is that sufficient?

not everyone may use that as a power source for add ons...it is mainly supposed to be where you jump start the vehicle...and where the alternator wire goes...my guess is thats why both batteries junction there so it can charge both??

as far as the alternator cable gauge...you are the expert, so I would have to defer that back to you...

not everyone may use that as a power source for add ons...it is mainly supposed to be where you jump start the vehicle...and where the alternator wire goes...my guess is thats why both batteries junction there so it can charge both??

as far as the alternator cable gauge...you are the expert, so I would have to defer that back to you...

They actually junction at the starter, Im sure the Alt lead is fine, with a 50 amp fusible link 6 gauge copper is rated at 55 amps

They actually junction at the starter, Im sure the Alt lead is fine, with a 50 amp fusible link 6 gauge copper is rated at 55 amps

I haven't opened it in a while...guess I got it wrong:eek:...like I said...You're the expert ;)

What I do know is: that box ain't big enough for everything...it's busting at the seams/hinge

I haven't opened it in a while...guess I got it wrong:eek:...like I said...You're the expert ;)

What I do know is: that box ain't big enough for everything...it's busting at the seams/hinge

Thats why I think if I just run a lead to it and not back out it will free up alot of space in it.

Photos

OK. I'll try. I'll try and get a photo from the bottom where the ground is attached to tomorrow. I'll have to take the bottom apart for that.

Attachments

• DSCN9755.jpg
    DSCN9755.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCN9758.jpg
    DSCN9758.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCN9756.jpg
    DSCN9756.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCN9757.jpg
    DSCN9757.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Grounds

Not of the box I have that just the general routing of the cables and where the grounds go

I know this is a little late, but here is the photo of where the grounds connect to.

Looks like it connects to the engine block with a bolt.

Attachments

• DSCN9766.jpg
    DSCN9766.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN9767.jpg
    DSCN9767.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCN9768.jpg
    DSCN9768.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 11
Back