• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Duplicate title

6.5coalroller

Reaction score
I have a really basic question for you guys that doesn't really relate to a six five, more car buying. So my buddy found this 95 z28 camaro tonight and he asked him if he would trade for a his 96 blazer so we go and meet him and drive them both. The car seemed alright has lots of power. Missing the headliner the lights were messed up only the brights worked and the windshield was cracked in one corner. Had some minor scratches nothing major. Has a lt1 350 k&n and a chip. So the guy trades him straight up the car is prolly worth a thousand more seems lyk a great deal to us. Then were at the gas station and I pull out the title it was a duplicate with the mileage exempt and it had been issued 12 days ago. I thought that sounded a lil fishy to me but i'm pretty sure a duplicate title just means the title before had been lost but I thought i'd ask to see what you guys thought.

Usually a lost title. However when I bought my truck I got one title in the mail. The next day I got another just like it. Went to the courthouse and asked why and they said it was a mistake and a week later got another one. The third was a "Duplicate Title" with a letter explaining their mistake with the first two.

every state is different. He could have just lost the original. As long as DMV accepts should be fine. You can do carfax for the mileage,

Duplicate title means just that, not the same as a salvage title -
and mileage is exempt on vehicles over a certain age, I think it's
ten years in Louisiana

I saw a documentary on CarFax not too long ago...it seemed as though shops had an 'option' to give the information to CarFax...not law....

Very few actually report to carfax. Probably less than 1% of them do. It is usually the large chains that do. A friend of mine is a GM for a honda dealer and they connect there service dept to carfax. He said the info is only as good as the tech or svc writer inputs into the system. Carfax is really only good for info it receives from the dmv's and insurance companies.

State inspection here reports to carfax. Sounds like car dealers service dept. also do that. Most independent mechanics, like the one I go to, are not reporting to carfax. Most of his bills are still handwritten, nothing fancy. Cannot complain since he does good work and highly recommended by cartalk.

Back