• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Dually tires

Yea the xps is on my list, the size I'm going with is the 235/85/16 ... I have a friend that works for Michelin and can get very good prices so we will see..

I just want something with road tread for the best ride and less rolling resistance possible...

50K warranty all season in your size. ( And tell your friend to start making these in 18" LT275 /70 R18 125S E1 for modern HD pickups.)

Not sure a steel casing will be the best ride. Cooper Discoverer ATP II I have on now is way better ride than the OEM Firestone TrashForce that came with the 2018 RAM.

My first complete set on my 2017 ram 3500. FALKEN,. Wild peak, quiet nice ride. Unfortunately,the outside edges show wear at less than 10 thou. 98 thou miles, 4th set of front tires and only on second set all around. Decided ,since 7 front end shops tell me how nobody knows how to set alignment but them, I'll just replace my fronts every 25 - 30 thou. Miles till I trade it for a 2500 ram. No more duallys for me.

How many miles do you put on in a year?

If you can use up the tires in 5-7 years, run michelin. If it doesnt run a ton of miles, consider something else. Michelins do not age as well as others, get all dryrotted and crackly much sooner. Im sure garage storage and possibly armor-all might help.

I personally run Firestone Transforce HTs (have yet to wear out any old HTs, no experience with the HT2 that replaced the HT) mostly for the rubber compound, although I admit firestone pickup tires dont age nearly as well as Firestone ag tires.

I have been with the Cooper tires for over 25 years.
They seem to not wear out real soon.
The tires on My truck are Coopers, they were on it when I bought the truck. I wish these things would wear down a little faster, then I could go to a smaller diameter tire, drop the front end back down, do an alignment job so it quits its slight pull to the right and get rid of these howlers. 😹😹😹😹

I have always loved Michelin they seem to have the best ride quality but they are pricey. Cooper is a good tire and so is Firestone. I would be careful with discount tire. I recently found out that the tires they carry are only made for them and not carried anywhere else. some are also made overseas including rims they have. even with a name brand, check the model on that particular tire and see if it's something carried by other tire shops. it's not that it's a bad thing but having a blow out while traveling somewhere and you want the exact replacement from the local tire shop, you might have some hard luck.

I have always loved Michelin they seem to have the best ride quality but they are pricey. Cooper is a good tire and so is Firestone. I would be careful with discount tire. I recently found out that the tires they carry are only made for them and not carried anywhere else. some are also made overseas including rims they have. even with a name brand, check the model on that particular tire and see if it's something carried by other tire shops. it's not that it's a bad thing but having a blow out while traveling somewhere and you want the exact replacement from the local tire shop, you might have some hard luck.

This is the tires that I am running on my truck right now, I really like them so far.
Of course it's not a dually, but they ride smooth on the highway.

Last edited:
My first complete set on my 2017 ram 3500. FALKEN,. Wild peak, quiet nice ride. Unfortunately,the outside edges show wear at less than 10 thou. 98 thou miles, 4th set of front tires and only on second set all around. Decided ,since 7 front end shops tell me how nobody knows how to set alignment but them, I'll just replace my fronts every 25 - 30 thou. Miles till I trade it for a 2500 ram. No more duallys for me.
Has anyone really found the front end alignment problem with the 2017 ram dually . Outside front tire wear !!

Has anyone really found the front end alignment problem with the 2017 ram dually . Outside front tire wear !!
If both edges of each front tire is showing the same amount of wear, I would be suspecting an under inflation problem.
There is a thread in the forum explains how to use chalk on the tire to determine if the tires are over or under inflated.

If both edges of each front tire is showing the same amount of wear, I would be suspecting an under inflation problem.
There is a thread in the forum explains how to use chalk on the tire to determine if the tires are over or under inflated.
Only outside edges equally on both front tires. Dodge says, oh, it's cause you're pulling a trailer to much,lifting your front end. Then of course, it's ,ram has to be done differently from factory specs, we're the only ones who've been successful, of course,all a load of crap.

Only outside edges equally on both front tires. Dodge says, oh, it's cause you're pulling a trailer to much,lifting your front end. Then of course, it's ,ram has to be done differently from factory specs, we're the only ones who've been successful, of course,all a load of crap.
If pulling trailer with a bumper hitch, that should lessen the weight on the front end and cause the tires to wear more in the middle. 😹😹
I dont know about pulling a fifth weeeler trailer and the load that’d put on the front tires. That might cause more load and the tires to wear on the outsides.
Chailk test I believe would show that.

if you do haul quite a bit and when connecting a trailer your rear end squats the truck, I would invest into a good set of air shocks or bags with a leveling valve. set it up similar to how the big rigs are so when there is no load, there is hardly any air in the bags, but when loaded it will increase pressure in the bags or shocks so that it brings the level back up on the hind side of the truck

if you do haul quite a bit and when connecting a trailer your rear end squats the truck, I would invest into a good set of air shocks or bags with a leveling valve. set it up similar to how the big rigs are so when there is no load, there is hardly any air in the bags, but when loaded it will increase pressure in the bags or shocks so that it brings the level back up on the hind side of the truck
My sons 2019 Dodge diesel, he invested in tje air compressor. The compressor runs to maintain the lowest PSI that it lets off to is five.
He can control the pressure with an app in the display or from his phone.

My sons 2019 Dodge diesel, he invested in tje air compressor. The compressor runs to maintain the lowest PSI that it lets off to is five.
He can control the pressure with an app in the display or from his phone.
Fancy!! I have always wanted to set something up on my truck with the air shocks. have a small compressor on a tiny tank hidden under the bed, but also have a line plumbed up to have a air fitting somewhere like behind the fuel door with a quick connect for an air hose. that way when I'm out on the road and get a low tire I could still air it up. even possibly help someone in need stuck somewhere. :) I have an old compressor I scavenged off a just vehicle that was used to control it's factory air ride. I just need to figure out how to plumb to it as it only used a little push on style hose, I don't want it blowing off when getting up to 100 psi!!

Might be if a person had one of those dual alternator mounting brackets, could rig up one side with an air compressor.
I dont know if there was any factory brackets made for an air compressor. Like the state, all their trucks had air brakes and were equipped with a compressor. None of those had a 6.2/6.5 diesel.
There were quite a few that had the 8.3 Detroit, be nice to stuff one of those engines into My K3500. 😹😹😹
Then a compressor could be mounted right up. 😹😹😹

That's just it, I replaced front tires at 20,000 miles. Purposely did not haul a trailer and at 10,000 miles, visible wear, dealer says front end alignment is all,then had wire showing by 40,000. Just thinking there must be an out the box alignment answer. Thanks Steve

That's just it, I replaced front tires at 20,000 miles. Purposely did not haul a trailer and at 10,000 miles, visible wear, dealer says front end alignment is all,then had wire showing by 40,000. Just thinking there must be an out the box alignment answer. Thanks Steve
I do know that some of the Dodge trucks did have some serious front end problems. I dont remember what it was, maybe king pins or some such.

Back