• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DTC codes I have

daddywalt

Reaction score
These are the codes my 1994 Suburban 6.5 turbo 4x4 are giving me. I've done some research and thus far I haven't seen anyone having all these codes so each one has a separate list of potential problems. I know that sometimes a few codes together point to one problem so I figured I'd run it by the experts for advice before I start the hunt. The truck runs rather well considering the 230k miles and the oil leak. It doesn't seem to have full power and I say that because occasionally the turbo will spool and the truck will pull like a mad man but randomly and when this happens it shifts hard and at a high RPM. If I step on it, I'll get some black smoke (I assume that is normal) and all the fluids seem normal, it does have some oil consumption/ leaking ~ 1 qt per 200 miles.
DTC 13 - Engine Shutoff Solenoid Circuit Fault
DTC 17 - High Resolution Circuit Fault
DTC 18 - Pump Cam Reference Pulse Error
DTC 29 - Glow Plug Relay Fault
DTC 35 - Injection Pulse Width Error (Time Short)
DTC 39 - TCC Stuck "OFF"
DTC 43 - Fuel Temperature Circuit High (Low Temp)
DTC 68 - Transmission Component Slipping
DTC 78 -Turbo Wastegate Solenoid Fault

Thoughts? Thanks!

Welcome to TTS

Multiple codes are quite often grounds related, clean the battery grounds at the bats and where they go to the manifold. Clean the 2 or 3 grounds on the tranny dipstick, there is a ground strap from the fire wall to frame on the pass side.

Code 13 can be caused by a poor fuse contact, I have had to pull that fuse and shine the spades up with emory cloth (fine sandpaper).

78, check for vacuum at the vac pump, it should be about 20-23 inches. Then check vac at the waste gate diaphram, it will be slightly less than at the vac pump. broken lines can be the cause as well as the solenoid. Grab hold of the arm going to the turbo at an idle, you should not be able to move it.

okay I will check and clean grounds, any tips on that or just take them off with maybe a little wire brush action?

Which fuse are you referring to?

I have no idea how to do the vacuum check, but I'll research that. THANK YOU

The fuse is in the engine bay fuse box, it should have a fsos or fuel sol. label.

Clear the codes after the grounds are cleaned up and see which ones return, I'll look for the link to clear the codes.

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?28567-Some-winter-pics

In post 7 it shows how to read the codes. When in diagnostic mode (paper clip in) hold both the brake pedal and accel pedal to the floor for 30 seconds, that should clear the codes. The batteries can also be disconnected for 10 minutes or more to clear the codes.

And yes, a wire brush will work.

On the Forum Home page there is the 6.5 Technical Library, it's a good read.

Thank you very much sir, I'll clean up a few things, clear the codes and take her for a drive. I appreciate all the help!

Back