• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DS4 to DS2

Pillow

Recruit
Reaction score
... Just a topic to discuss. Hey Ratman did it!

What would be the pros and cons to going from a DS4 to a DS2 (marine) IP?

From what I understand the Marine DS2 could possibly put out more fuel (power) than a DS4. And you get the reliability of no electronics. :)

A problem might arise if you must put in a mechanical throttle versus electronic..?

Bobbie Martin has a book on this. I was considering it, but decided being 4X4 auto, it'd be more trouble than I'd want.

On a side note, you may have more luck finding a DB-2.

You do need a stand alone computer, as well as mechanical injector lines, I'm not sure if the stand-alone comps handle the 4x4---- i think they do! I've seen the 4BT Cummins with a 4L80E 4x4.... it's a pretty awesome upgrade, the Marine DB-2 (really its a DB-4) puts out a stupid amount of fuel when turned up, much more than the DS-4 can i believe. over 100 mm^3 i think? You can build some serious power with something like that. I have a feeling that this is A LOT easier on an OBD-1 truck, but I guess if the tranny was stand-alone, why wouldnt it work?

GM performance parts has a standalone Transmission controller for 4LxxE trans's.

GM # 12497316 - Transmission Control Module Package - Transmission Control Package For 4L60E/4L80E

gmperformanceparts.com

You do need a stand alone computer, as well as mechanical injector lines, I'm not sure if the stand-alone comps handle the 4x4---- i think they do! I've seen the 4BT Cummins with a 4L80E 4x4.... it's a pretty awesome upgrade, the Marine DB-2 (really its a DB-4) puts out a stupid amount of fuel when turned up, much more than the DS-4 can i believe. over 100 mm^3 i think? You can build some serious power with something like that. I have a feeling that this is A LOT easier on an OBD-1 truck, but I guess if the tranny was stand-alone, why wouldnt it work?

The problem with 4X4 auto is some super encoder thing in the tranny for 4X4 that most 94+ do not have. I do, however, think it'd probably be pretty easy on an OBD-I if you could get the transmission from a 92-93, and then use Bobbie Martin's manual. I was looking into this, but after e-mailing Bobbie Martin, and reading the reply, I decided not to. IIRC, the manual covers OBD-I 4X4 manual, 4X2 manual, and 4X2 auto.

Like said above if you were to use a standalone for the trans you would be fine. PCS has one for 850 that is fully programable by the end user. I don't think you can use.

The marine 4-roller DB2 does sound very nice!! I mean, isn't that the same pump penninsular uses on thier 400hp twin turbo engine. I'm sure with a big single and intercooler you could get there, plus gobs of smoke until it spools, just like the big boys!

Back