• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DS4 Injector Lines Are Bigger ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6-5L...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item415aeed921 Do the DS4 lines have a bigger inside diameter than the DB2 lines ?

There are two sizes for DB2 lines, one for 6.2 and one for 6.5. Its my understanding the 6.5 DB2 lines are the same as DS4, but I can't say for sure. $240 for adapters, you can get a used set of DB2 lines for less than that, in fact I think a new set of lines wouldn't be much more. They look nicely made though and it does add another option if converting to a DB2.

I never even thought they might be bigger,and I don't have any DS4 lines to measure. I do have 6.2 and 6.5 DB2 lines guess I'll measure them.

I thought all DB2 lines were the same and the DS4 lines were bigger. I thought the issue with the bigger lines was the angle of the injectors in the newer heads would cause some issues with older setups.

I measured a 6.5 DB2 line ,its looks like .083 . Kinda hard to tell since I couldn't find a drill bit that fit snug,but I believe I'm within .002. My 6.2 lines are still on the 6.2,but I thought they were the same.

The lines themselves are the same IIRC. At least that's from the outside. One could cut open both a DS4 and a DB2 line to see if the DS4 lines truly are larger internally.

The nuts that thread onto the IP are different. The DS4 lines take a 3/4" wrench over the nut. The DB2 lines take a 5/8" wrench over the nut. That would tell me that the threaded portions where the line nuts attach to the IP are larger on a DS4. And they are. A quick look at a DS4 and then a DB2 will prove this.

All DB2 IPs use the 5/8" outside diameter line nuts on the IP side.

All DS4 IP use the 3/4" outside diameter line nuts on the IP side.

All injection lines are 3/4" outside diameter nuts where the line attaches to the actual injector.

Those adapters look like a conversion so you can use your original 6.5 DS4 lines on a DB2 conversion. Other wise you would need to purchase/acquire a set of 6.2/mech 6.5 injection hard lines to run a DB2 on a once DS4 engine.

The DS4 has a delivery valve built in the fittings on the head,I would love to put them on a DB2 but can't figure out how. They also have a a restrictor at the outlet that I would remove,there is also a extra lip on the main delivery valve right below the seat that requires the valve to move farther than needed before any fuel will go into the injector line. It is still a better design than a DB2 which just has one delivery valve in the rotor,and depends on the seal between the head and rotor to keep pressure in the injector line.

The DS4 has a delivery valve built in the fittings on the head,I would love to put them on a DB2 but can't figure out how. They also have a a restrictor at the outlet that I would remove,there is also a extra lip on the main delivery valve right below the seat that requires the valve to move farther than needed before any fuel will go into the injector line. It is still a better design than a DB2 which just has one delivery valve in the rotor,and depends on the seal between the head and rotor to keep pressure in the injector line.

Very interesting. So that's the difference. Looks like the lines and pumps are built around eachother.

So would that conversion fittings above work? My curiosity is killing me.

Just for the lines. The DS4 delivery valve fits down into the head also and threads are bigger in the head.

So where should I get new lines for my DB2 on the new P400 6.5? Aftermarket or try the dealer for a 1993 6.5 diesel pickup? I think the ones I have now are off a 6.2 motor, not sure traded some parts for them.

There are two sizes for DB2 lines, one for 6.2 and one for 6.5. Its my understanding the 6.5 DB2 lines are the same as DS4, but I can't say for sure. $240 for adapters, you can get a used set of DB2 lines for less than that, in fact I think a new set of lines wouldn't be much more. They look nicely made though and it does add another option if converting to a DB2.

Engine Systems
C/K — Injector - 84 mm length, 6 mm dia. nozzle valve; Lines - 2.50 mm I.D.; Delivery Valve Retraction - 30mm3
G — Injector - 74 mm length, 5 mm dia. nozzle valve; Lines - 2.00 mm I.D.; Delivery Valve Retraction - 22.5mm3
* — Injector - 74 mm length, 5 mm dia. nozzle valve; Lines - 2.36 mm I.D.; Delivery Valve Retraction - 22.5mm3
Notes: (from Stanadyne pump list, Military apps.)

The main reason for the difference is that the DS4 runs a higher pressure and the lines are a slightly different length to accommodate the different IP.

The DB2 lines are different in that the earlier 6.2 had a slightly different angle on the injectors and the older injectors were longer (taller in the head)
Starting around 91 they changed the heads. The later 6.2 is the same as the 6.5 and the injector length and angle is the same. The late 6.2 and 6.5 lines that are used with a DB2 will all swap around.

If you swap a DB2 into any 6.5 the later lines for the DB2 will fit.

DS4 lines must be used with a DS4 pump

2.5 mm converts to .098 inches. Where can I find some lines like this ?

I think you can. I even considered brakeline,but they would probably chatter.

Coincidentally I just ordered a few sets of injector line sets.
Set of 8 is only $215
Email if you need a set.

Back