• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DS4 conversion to DB2

Very well said Missy

Our newest truck (07' W5500) is without a doubt, the biggest pile of crap we have ever owned. Truck has been in and out of the dealer since it was brand new with the same problem. We have replaced all the injectors twice (plus #4 again), new turbo, new PCM, along with some other smaller items. All in only 12K miles. All of this is revolving around a faulty underboost reading which keeps causing the computer to go into limp mode.

Note the word "computer"

This truck has been in the shop for sometimes over a month at a time. And we still have no idea what is the problem. We came into similar problems with our 05 Dmax. We try to keep upgrading our fleet of trucks, but sometimes I wonder what is the point, other than saftey. They sure as hell arent very reliable. Our 89 6.2 will sit all winter and then start right up in 20deg weather.

It sometimes really dissapoints me to think this is where we are headed. More and more computers, and more fancy/expensive software to fix them. So when it comes time for a rebuild on my personal truck, the DB is getting dropped in. Which leads us back to the point on this thread...........

I have gotten to the point that I am scared to take one of these over computered rigs anywhere into a remote place.

Damn, we used to venture deep into the back country while hunting. Places where no sane person would go at times.

Get an electronics failure and your fouled.

The cost to get the rig drug out of one of those places could be prohibitive.

Just walk a way I guess.

The bulk of this stuff is the results of EPA regulations and the ever expanding desire by these idiots to have the air coming out the tail pipe cleaner than what went in the front.

Just a damned fool crusade to failure.

Back in the day, all ya needed to carry was a fresh set of points a condenser and a coil. the likelyhood of any failure was covered.

Any other issues could likely be bandaided enough to get back to civilization and then deal with it.

Not any more.

Niow this said I would certainly not go back to points and condenser ignition.

The stuff we had in the era following this were pretty darned good.
Right before the computer was bolted on was fairly reliable.

Ah well
The die is cast, the fools are not going to back off now. Just have to toss in the towel or run the older stuff.

Just so sad that we have come so far to just fold up and fail so misserably.

later

MGW

Not meaning to Rant and bitch but thats about all I can offer.

Now if detroit would offer us the same quality as the Class 8 trucks gets in the way of electronics I could get enthused.

Back