• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Driving through water?

whatnot

Reaction score
Can it hurt anything driving through water? The road I usually take to work in under water for a short section. I think it is only a few inches in the middle and I usually go fairly slow. It looks like it will be a long time till it goes down (if ever) and was wondering if I should be taking a different route.

Deep water can if you get it in places that its not supposed to be, ie: intake, axle vent tubes, NSBU switch, stuff like that. If the water is only a few inches deep you should be ok, just try to steer clear of the water that would come over your bumper and keep a check on the condition of your fluids to make sure you aren't getting water in them.

If it is truly only a "few inches" I wouldn't worry about it. If it is more along the lines of "water spraying out from your wheels and over your hood and you have to turn on your wipers" then I would say find a new road....

I was riding with my cousin yesterday (in his '06 LBZ)and he went through it at about 50 mph and the fan belt squealed for a second. I will stop in it today if I go that way and see how deep it really is.

You'll be fine as long as it doesn't get into your intake....I've taken trucks and jeeps and anything you can thingk of through deep water...only stalled one because the moving water splashed over the hood and got into the intake....tow bill wasn't cheap....i'd say if you are that worried, don't go over the trim along the center of the door and you'll be fine

You know it's deep when the rear is floating and the waves go over the hood. Water is bad for differential fluids. Look underneath and find the vent tubes, don't go deeper than that without planning to change them soon. Water in the intake is bad, ugly bad.

You know it's deep when the rear is floating and the waves go over the hood. Water is bad for differential fluids. Look underneath and find the vent tubes, don't go deeper than that without planning to change them soon. Water in the intake is bad, ugly bad.
I don't plan on going into anything that deep. My brother wrecked his Cadillac Seville a month or so ago when we had a lot of rain here. He went around a corner and all of the sudden the car floated off into the ditch and stalled. He said the water was just below the bottom of the windows. For some reason it started and drove out after it sank enough for the tires to touch the ground. His feet were 6 or 8" under water by then.

Which road is it??

If you take it every day and its only a few inches, its really no different than driving in heavy rain.

I wouldnt be worried too much about that. Ive been through that one a few times too. Its not too terribly deep.

keep it greased.... and like someone else said, axle fluids dont like water. make sure to flush those if you do that regularly...

Like most other people have said, just keep a eye on your fluids and use your common sence

last time I went through there i would have guessed it at about 4" max. That was last weekend and it could have only gone down since then.

Yes, it finally started going down. It is only about 1-1/2" deep in the center now. It had been deeper and it looked like it was going to keep going up.
I had to replace the nsbu switch after driving through water a couple years ago and was just wondering if anything else like that was likely to happen.

Back