• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Driving lights in stock bumper

pupedog7

Reaction score
Do any of you guys have driving lights mounted in the two intake holes in your front bumper? I have seen this done on several trucks over the years. Just wondering how to mount them and how much air (cooling) flow this cuts to the radiator. I am also inatalling a full grill guard (the wrap around kind )

Good idea or Not

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a good idea. The cooling systems on these trucks is marginal . They need every bit of air flow they can get.

Yep them holes are dual purpose.... 1 being for the extra airflow for added cooling and 2 is for foot holes to reaching back over the engine
:thumbsup:

A friend had some of those tiny fog lights in his. Ive seen a few with huge lights taking up the whole opening.

And that is where the intake is supposed to get its air to. It goes into bumper, and directed into the fender. So if youre block them the air filter will get less air pressure

On a 6.5L truck, I wouldn't put anything in the openings since they are vital to cooling as stated before.

Gm used a diesel bumper with foglights from the factory on Z71 Tahoes and Limited Tahoes. Years ago I put a diesel bumper on my 88 and put a set of lights in the openings. It has always been one of my favorite mods.

P1060457.jpg

P1100172.jpg

On a 6.5L truck, I wouldn't put anything in the openings since they are vital to cooling as stated before.

Gm used a diesel bumper with foglights from the factory on Z71 Tahoes and Limited Tahoes. Years ago I put a diesel bumper on my 88 and put a set of lights in the openings. It has always been one of my favorite mods.

P1060457.jpg

P1100172.jpg

I was gonna Direct the OP to you, but I remembered your Truck you did this on is a Gasser.

But still, it Looks Baddass, and the Light Output is Crazy. :)

The truck is generally used for pulling flat bed trailer or goose neck horse trailer in southern indiana ( small hills to medium grade depending on location )

The towing even in 32 degree weather can use all the cooling the truck has depending on the grade of the hill you attempt. It is all we can do with better fans, High Output water pump, modded or low temp fan clutches, and spotless radiators/condensers/oil coolers to keep these engines from going over the 210 mark. Over 210 the heads like to crack and the block can crack as well. This body style has airflow issues where the radiator doesn't get enough airflow esp for a IDI diesel engine.

So given your use I would recommend against plugging the airflow holes with lights. I would also recommend that you look at your cooling system with info from here to make sure it is in tip top shape. Esp. the surprise mat of stuff behind the oil cooler on the condenser plugging up airflow...

I agree. I don't think anything should be blocking the intake holes in the bumper on these trucks, especially when towing.

I noticed in my 99 it has never went above 200 when towing, although it's still fairly cold out here. I'm sure it helps that my truck is a manual, one less item that is using up the cooling surface from the grille.

I tow heavy and havnt had any over heating problems. I have amber turn signals in my bumper

I had the Cadilac Escalade front end on my 93. It ran cool, but never towed heavy and its very flat here. (I can see downtown on a clear day 30 miles away.)

Back