• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Drivetrain differences between trucks equipped with 454 vs. 6.5

SnowDrift

Ultra Conservative. ULTRA!
Reaction score
In continuing to consider swapping transmissions, I was wondering if this would be a reasonable option for me to consider. Computer difference, I'm sure, but are there other things to consider if I am interested in swapping my 4L80E for a NV4500 in my '95? The idea is to end up with two running trucks when this is all said and done.

If this is reasonable, then it increases the likelihood that I'll find a donor truck. It seems like there are a ton of '94 and '96 models, but '95 is harder to come by. It could just be because that's what I'm looking for, though.

GM 4L80E Torque converter for the 454 and the 6.5TD are the exact same unit, not the same as the one used with the 5.7 gasser.

And all 94+ would have a vssb, drac's were only used on early truck's. But a 96 454 wouldn't have either one as it is PCM controlled.

Back