• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Draining Coolant from radiator

Not a great solution, nor permenent, but my last few go rounds, I siphoned the coolant to keep it clean. In my LB7 poking the hose as far down as you can get into the coolant bottle is more than enough to do any top end work I have done. Usefulness is dependent on where the bottle line ties into the radiator, but if this pulls it below the top hose, you could pull that off and shove the siphon line in through there to finish it.

l ordered the Gates 19663 hose that goes from the coolant bottle to the lower radiator hose "T". This hose has the 1" bell at one end going to the smaller ID the rest of the way. 43" long so it is cut to fit. Got it off Amazon for $14.27 with free shipping, but this thing won't ship until November 7th at the earliest. So this coolant leak project just got deferred, which means I fish this weekend.

@Big T did you look on RA? they could probably get one to you sooner! plus you get the 5% discount

Yes I did. RA had the part for $11.57 less 5% = $10.99. Then they want $8.99 for shipping, which brings the total to $19.98. Amazon's free shipping blows RA out the water almost every time. There is no urgency on this project as it's a real minor leak. It only happens after cooling off and sitting in cold weather overnight and even then not all the time. I work from home and my wife has the 4Runner so we're covered with vehicles.

Last edited:
Yes I did. RA had the part for $11.57 less 5% = $10.99. Then they want $8.99 for shipping, which brings the total to $19.98. Amazon's free shipping blows RA out the water almost every time. There is no urgency on this project as it's a real minor leak. It only happens after cooling off and sitting in cold weather overnight and even then not all the time. I work from home and my wife has the 4Runner so we're covered with vehicles.
that's true, I didn't think about the shipping charges. for me ordering from them I would want to make the order for more than just one item.

plus my fuzzy budy loves to play in the boxes lol

26049829-CF1D-4A59-B5AA-319CE1DC24E4.jpeg

I have done the siphon thing too on different vehicles. I recommend a clear small hose with extra length.

I haven’t looked but can you get a clear drop from the lower hose say at the midpoint or other section. If replacing the hose anyway can you poke a hole in hose at an area and collect enough clean coolant to ease the loss.

Back