• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Downpipe heat protection

I used some heat wrap on the manifold right near the flange that connects to the crossover pipe to protect the wires there and used a starter heat wrap around the starter. But my down pipe doesn't seem to be near any of the wiring so I left it bare. I suppose you could wrap the down pipe at the bend below the turbo if needed.

Do you still have the factory starter?
I have a few. Not sure which are factory. I think all the parts I have here are factory starters that have been rebuilt by the local rebuilder.

I dismantled them to save the hardware and then scrap them.
A couple of them looked to be in very good condition.

I'm hoping now that my issue wasn't battery cables - can't turn back now.

We did load test with the load tester attached to the starter end of the cables and it was only slightly lower than attached to the battery. Still well into the green on the tester.
Based on that I gave the battery cables a thumbs up.

Header wrap it past the passenger floor pan. Header wrap on the manifolds. (Best done with manifolds removed.) Turbo blanket. All painted with the header wrap paint to reduce moisture and harden it in place.

When you ain't scared of 1550 EGT it helps things not melt in the area and the floor pan paint not burn to a different color...

I could lean on the turbo blanket after a run and not get burned.

Turbo and down pipe. Engine removed for clarity.

ATT.jpg

IMG_20181118_003945389.jpg

Header wrap it past the passenger floor pan. Header wrap on the manifolds. (Best done with manifolds removed.) Turbo blanket. All painted with the header wrap paint to reduce moisture and harden it in place.

When you ain't scared of 1550 EGT it helps things not melt in the area and the floor pan paint not burn to a different color...

I could lean on the turbo blanket after a run and not get burned.

Turbo and down pipe. Engine removed for clarity.

View attachment 85174

View attachment 85175
Thanks. Is there any particular brand or place to buy?

Any particular products?

Sometimes even a brand has more than one product for the same application. Sometimes varying from great to crap.

Like AC Delco Professional - at least used to be - not so sure anymore and their crap cheap line.

Thanks. Is there any particular brand or place to buy?

Any particular products?

I had to go out and look at what I have leftover I picked up at a local hot rod shop: lopersperformancecenter

Made In USA...

Best example, via a kit, of what I used. Paint, stainless steel tie wraps, and the actual wrap, you need lots of those tie wraps:

Thermo-Tec Exhaust Insulating Wrap Kits 19222

Summitracing Or Jegs

I think Jegs has a better listing searching Thermo-Tec, they make all kinds of heat wrap stuff, but I get Christmas cards and catalogs from all of them still. Seriously a drug addiction would have been cheaper that what I spent on parts...

I wrapped the 6.5 headers with the wrap. This was done out of need as I ran 6.2 heads or injectors and needed to insulate the injectors from the 6.5 manifold heat as the injector angle on the 6.2 heads put them closer to the manifold. Like touching closer. It's use is likely why I didn't burn my rigs down.

Expansive, but, worth it. The ATT turbo blanket cost alone was a hardship for me in the day.

You can also source heat protection/retention material through DEI. Tape, Spark Plug Boots (thought I'd try protecting Glow Plug wires in the tubes on the passenger side...nope. Too Big), Sleeves and Header Wrap. There's more, to include Turbo Blankets which I had on my ATT but, not on the GM-8 I have now.

I used all the header wrap on the down pipe and cross-over pipe. The spark plug covers do fit over fuel and transmission lines where they are close to the manifolds. Same as the sleeve material. The 'tape' I used where header wrap began or ended and to hold the tube materials in place.

Hope this helps.
IMG_8597.JPG

Back