• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Door Lock Problems

fonecop1

Reaction score
My drivers side door has gotten really hard to unlock and is worse in the cold weather. When you put the key in it seems pretty sloppy and you have to keep trying it in both directions back and forth and finally it will make and you can unlock the door. Anybody know of an easy fix for this problem?
Thanks
Bob

Does it seem hard with the inside manual switch as well? or just the keyed lock cylinder?

You could always try to use some WD-40 and the little tube to Douche out the inside of the lock cylinder. If that don't work,, then you'll be going inside the door.

I have the key locks stop working on all my Chevys truck this body style. Try some lock lube stuff, if it stops working all together you can get new locks/keys from autozone for a couple bucks, its not an easy job to change but its doable

If I were to use a dry lube,,, I'd use brake clean first,, to clean out any hardened grease. then lube her up. Doing body work for over 20 years,, I've seen alot of locks not work so well, as people use the keyfobs, more than the keys,, and they locks are a use it or lose it item, IMO.

With our body style,, and small hand/arms,, you can take out the small plastic vent that's under the door latch, and reach up inside with a 10mm gear wrench, and take out the 1 bolt on the outer handle thats inside the door, then the 1 thats just inside the door leading edge, and the handle will come out of the hole enough that you can push up on the little lock that holds the lock cylinder in the outer handle itself, and get the cylinder out for a swap if neccisary. Thats the way we R&R'd tons of handles for painting with out having to go thru the whole door panel.

Does it seem hard with the inside manual switch as well? or just the keyed lock cylinder?

You could always try to use some WD-40 and the little tube to Douche out the inside of the lock cylinder. If that don't work,, then you'll be going inside the door.

The inside slider is stiff and the actuator doesn't work on that side. Once the key lines up after jiggling it, it turns about as easy as the other side.

sounds like if the acuator, is stiff,, and I see you have a bagillion miles,, it could be anything in between the latch, acuator, inside slider manual lock thingy, something are all of it is just plain old worn out. Maybe time to pull the door panel and investigate and watch the things work. maybe lube up everything that moves,, and see if it loosens up.

Turkeyday sounds like the perfect time to have at it. I think if you search Door panel, you'll find a tread with pics, that show you how. Good Luck

That's bagillion miles with a B right? You reminded me to update my signature cause I've added another 5K to it. I do like the idea of brake cleaner then the dry lube so I picked up some dry lube lastnight and gave it a good dose of brake cleaner this morning. I will give it time to dry and apply the dry lube, actually it worked better after just the brake cleaner. Also the problem isn't really with the effort it takes to turn the key just getting the tumblers to lineup so you can turn the key.

sounds like you need a new key cartridge.
actualy easy to install without taking the door handle or panel off.
requares to just drill a hole in the door edge,I done it before,have pics too.

sounds like you need a new key cartridge.
actualy easy to install without taking the door handle or panel off.
requares to just drill a hole in the door edge,I done it before,have pics too.

Those pics would be great if you could post them here.

here ye go.
drill a 1 1/8" hole in the location as shown(drilling right at the edge of the crease gives a wee bit better acces i think), and work trough that hole to unclip the lockrod lever from the cartridge ,use a magnet to prevent the clip from falling in the door, pry the lever with rod still attached from the cartridge
use a pick to push the cartridge lock up from underneath and push the cartridge inside.
i snug a tie strap around the old and new cartridge before removing and installing them to be able to get them in and out trough the hole without dropping them in the abys.

Pic 3 shows a little tab on the clip that locks in a hole on the lever,you need to lift it up before the clip can slide sideways and off the pin.

if you cant figger it out by the pics let me know.

Attachments

• fuel gauge 058.jpg
    fuel gauge 058.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 2
  • fuel gauge 062.jpg
    fuel gauge 062.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 2
  • fuel gauge 063.jpg
    fuel gauge 063.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 2
:wow:If i were to do it that way to a customers door,, They'd be having me fix that door!! maybe you could find a body plug to fill that void.
But If the key works the other door without wiggling,, then I'd say yeah your lock cylinder is on it's last leg.
The driver door lock on my rig, needs the key to be pushed in, then pulled back about a C_nt hair, before it will turn, then it opens right up.
Good luck with the repair, it's easy enough to do, just need a few tools, a beer and some time!

Pruittx2;218148[QUOTE said:
]:wow:If i were to do it that way to a customers door,, They'd be having me fix that door!!
maybe you could find a body plug to fill that void.
But If the key works the other door without wiggling,, then I'd say yeah your lock cylinder is on it's last leg.
The driver door lock on my rig, needs the key to be pushed in, then pulled back about a C_nt hair, before it will turn, then it opens right up.
Good luck with the repair, it's easy enough to do, just need a few tools, a beer and some time![/QUOTE]

Tell them its standard GM procedure:D,most people wont even notice it:nonod:unless you show them.
i covered the hole with ductape

a body plug would fit,if you drill the hole 1 1/4,

Back