• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

don't start like it use to..!!!..lack of power..

gmc junky

Reaction score
help..use to start right up..i don' think the starter made a complete rotation..lol..,, last few weeks (4-5), takes longer to start..sometimes way to long,,lots and lots of smoke(white and dark mix sometimes,,mostly white at times).. once it cranks..??,,last year in cool and cold weather it started fine then ...just installed a new lift pump 2weeks ago..no diff,,new glow plug relay 2 days ago,,no diff,,..once running it cranks ok,,,as long as it do'nt sit four several hours or overnight,, still not as quick though..any ideas..??..also once running has lots of power, feels good and strong,,til it reaches operating temp,,accelaration is good,,but shifting out and picking up speed feels real sluggish..i relocated pmd in the bumper,,added turbomaster(set tm to about 2-1/4" to keep boost 5-8 psi..),,, and 3" exhaust no catalytic conv,,has perfomance muffler of some kind,,kinda looks hollow..lol..this was done months ago..i'm planning to install new atturbo,kojo tune package..(the big one, i think it has a new ecm included or something),,from walking j,,new fuel line from them also...i'm planning on a partial tear down here in about 4 weeks..ok now what injectors are better,,and is this gle thing heath has the same thing that come in the atturbo kit/package..from walkingj,,which one is better if they are not???,,what glow plugs..???,,i feel its time for injectors and glow plugs anyway..has 200670 mile on truck and not sure of history of them..any thing else i need to consider during tear down..???..will this help to get the quick start back..???..ps..i pull a 12,000# camper at time and it struggles to pull it and runs 210 to 220 degrees..??? i feel the turbo package will help the pulling...???..

help..use to start right up..i don' think the starter made a complete rotation..lol..,, check bats, check starter

last few weeks (4-5), takes longer to start..sometimes way to long,,lots and lots of smoke(white and dark mix sometimes,,mostly white at times).. once it cranks..?? could be glows

,,last year in cool and cold weather it started fine then ...see above

just installed a new lift pump 2weeks ago..no diff,,was the initial timing on the pump set properly, was TDCO learn done? What's the current TDCO value?

new glow plug relay 2 days ago,,no diff,,..

once running it cranks ok,,,as long as it do'nt sit four several hours or overnight,, still not as quick though..any ideas..??..easier to start warm, again check batts/check glows

also once running has lots of power, feels good and strong,,til it reaches operating temp,,accelaration is good,,but shifting out and picking up speed feels real sluggish..

i relocated pmd in the bumper,,added turbomaster(set tm to about 2-1/4" to keep boost 5-8 psi..),,, and

3" exhaust no catalytic conv,,has perfomance muffler of some kind,,kinda looks hollow..lol..this was done months ago..

i'm planning to install new atturbo,kojo tune package..(the big one, i think it has a new ecm included or something),,from walking j,,new fuel line from them also...

i'm planning on a partial tear down here in about 4 weeks..ok

now what injectors are better,, factory Bosch, or genuine bosch nozzles on a rebuild

and is this gle thing heath has the same thing that come in the atturbo kit/package..from walkingj,, (No, but they are both just tuned PCM's) which one is better if they are not???,, depends on who you talk to

what glow plugs..???,, bosch Duraterms

i feel its time for injectors and glow plugs anyway..has 200670 mile on truck and not sure of history of them..waaayyy overdue if it's still got the stock injectors

any thing else i need to consider during tear down..???..harmonic balancer, check main webs for cracking if you're tearing it down to bare block, check heads for cracking between the valve seats if heads are off

will this help to get the quick start back..???.. new glow plugs may if your current ones are really old, not working or if a couple have died. Bad or weak batts goes without saying

ps..i pull a 12,000# camper at time and it struggles to pull it and runs 210 to 220 degrees..??? not too bad, running just a tad hot, cleaning the rads might not be a bad idea. 12,000 pretty much up past the limit of the truck for safe an effective pulling. My 98 "F" is rated at 10,000 max with equalizer hitch and I'm runnig 4:11 gears. Higher gears lowers the rating.....

i feel the turbo package will help the pulling...???..maybe...maybe not. most using an ATT report good things when pulling though

Jeebus man, that hurt my eyes!

Use paragraphs please!

I chopped it up for you in hopes of not hurting the eyes of others and actually getting a few responses.

If it's hard to read and follow, you won't get many replies.....

Last edited:
Lots of stuff there.

What is the temp where you are and has it been decreasing for last month?

For the hard starting, did you check the glow plugs at all? If you check the resistance from the glow plug spade to the glow plug body there should be about 1 ohm, if a lot more then they are bad. How long is the glow plug cycle?

Bad batts would also cause hard starting. Excessive cranking will cause the smoke which means fuel is there, but no heat. No heat is either non-working glow plugs, too low voltage to plugs, or slow cranking from low batts. Should have your batts load tested, need to be isolated to do that.

You can also try plugging in the block heater is it has one, which would be a substitue for glow plugs.

The Kojo tune is another PCM reflash like the Heath GLE, I am sure they both have their merit, Kojo program costs less though and will customize it if you know what you want. That alone would help you pull a trailer.

next time you start it cold, unplug the ect sensor and report back if it makes any diff. Sensor is the one on the coolant crossover.

sorry about no paragraphs,great white,,been many years since i had to write a book..,,thanks,for all the info,

wasn't planning on a complete tear down but i am considering it now,thanks

,buddy, the temperature has been 50s at night, 80s during the day,,last week,,

has been a little warmer when i noticed longer starting, i installed new batteries about 3-4 months ago,

and cleaned all grounds and that made a difference for quicker starts,

it was sluggish cranking then, and would kill the batteries quick, after this it started back starting really quick,

until recently, i cleaned batteries and grounds again last week, no difference, i have not checked the glow plugs yet, i plugged the

block heater in and it seemed to help a little,still long starts though,, thanks for info on kojo/heath ecm

i will try unplugging ect before cold start and let you know what happened

If it is cranking slow and draining batts the starter may need to be replaced with new lower guage cables too. You should not crank for more than about 10 seconds at a time and not more than once a minute. Doing so will send starter to early death. So what could have been a glow plug issue can quickly turn into a starter issue.

i unplugged the ect sensor..no difference..thanks for all the info ya'll... atturbo, kojo tune, and fuel lines & fittings, and rattlestops on the way now...!!!!...i have new glow plugs

and relay ,,ready for installing,,,,will pick up new harmonic balancer at dealer when i get home,,,,now all i need is a dam good set of injectors and install kit..where can i get a

set that have been pre set equally..???..i will be doing all this in a couple weeks..thank ya'll for all the info...

Is it cranking slow, or does it crank good? In first post you implied it wasnt cranking good, and if cleaning battery cables didnt help none of the other stuff will for the starter.

Did you check the glow plugs with an ohm meter? Or the voltage to them during WTS period with a volt meter? How long is your WTS glow plug cycle on first startup?

so sorry for the confusion..just trying to figure this truck out rather than buy a new one.......it turns over good,, fast as it always has except for when last batteries were going

bad..new batteries sure helped,, but it just takes longer to fire up,,i will check the glow plugs as soon as i get a chance, i am planning to install new ones anyway because i don't

know history of present ones.. the glow plug cycle is same as always...if this does not help could if be fuel leak back or air maybe..??.....

Back