• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Does anyone else shift with no clutch?

The only trans I don't clutch is the 4 speed without syncro's in my 5&4 grain truck

Other then taking off from a stop I have been doing it loaded or unloaded for 12 years in my 94 NV4500. A year after I bought it the truck the clutch pivot ball wore out and I pulled the clutch and replaced it. 80,000 miles later the crankshaft broke so I changed the engine. I bought another clutch plate but got looking at and the old one looked great! In fact when I took a micrometer to the old plate it was .003 thicker then the brand new one!!!!

Everybody, myself included, thinks they are an amazing driver, and shifting perfectly is part of that.

I oversteer sometimes, and come in on the clutch hot sometimes. Most people won't admit it. I'm ok with it because I'm secure in my manhood (Leroy, please insert joke here).

My point? AMT Automated Manual Transmission. Drivers can say what they want, nacfe can say what they want, federal gubmint well nobody cares what they say. AMT gives longer clutch life, longer transmission life, better mpg, faster 0-60. It is more $ on day one, other than that it wins 99.9% of the time. Why, cuz people are not machines.

Before you argue your different situation...I almost bought a house moving business. Not the stuff in the house, move the buildings. No AMT there. I get it- sometimes an amazingly exceptional driver can beat the odds.

MOST professional truck drivers do not shift properly, with clutch, without clutch, or double clutch. Ive yet to see anyone go through the box up and down twice in a row a flat 9 Eaton, then a super 10 back to back, without sliding 1 or a bump drop.

Pro truck driver wanna prove me wrong?
Put the camera on tach and stick. When you scrutinize it at home, you'll see your rpm drop 5-6 way more than 1-2. If you have muscle memory and perfect feel for one, you'll miss the other trans. That means loss of acceleration which is different floated speed. That means more shave on the face of the driven gear if to slow rpm, or your 1-2 is shaveing back of driven gear. It's not you- it physics. Every gear change is a different ratio, at a different output speed, but same (as close as you can get it) input speed.

I H8 trannys. All 3 kinds. I did rig trannys for a night job. I only did it for 8 years 6 days a week and of coarse a bit before and a bit after. So yeah I can do the little bitty ones. I won't anymore. I'll walk first. (Because I grew up a gear man, I refused to learn anymore than needed on slush boxes.) The other trannys, well, they need their own bathroom.

I have rebuilt Muncie 465's with Manny gears and in it owned by 30+ year truck drivers that people marvel over. Metal = bad shift, period. You THINK you are slipping in between teeth going 50 rpm with a gear doing 900 rpm. Your not. Clutches are designed to be the wear point to save the transmission. War wagon pointed out nv4500 is not as good as eaton, yeah no where near. And if the big rigs are all moving toward ATM, what does that tell you about a lil one. Drain your fluid, clean the magnet. Drive clutch free a year and check you magnet. Perfectly clean? Ok, save $20 worth of clutch and keep shifting clutch free. Anything else I the magnet and realize you $20 worth of clutch just cost you $40 worth of tranny.

Sorry, years of aggravation from this "manly contest", can ya tell?

The only trans I don't clutch is the 4 speed without syncro's in my 5&4 grain truck
I haven't driven that truck since last spring, (electrical fire). Thinking more on it I do use the clutch to pull the 4 speed out of gear, rev up or down, depress clutch and slip into gear. It takes torque off of the gears as they slip in. So I double clutch all shifts.

I've seen/known a few truck drivers that were pretty amazing over the years but few and far between. In my early 20s I was decent didn't drive another truck for close to 30 years and I'm not so good anymore.

The old truckers that pulled 80k gvwr with 290 hp learned to shift. Today with 5-600 hp it isn't as necessary.

The old truckers that pulled 80k gvwr with 290 hp learned to shift. Today with 5-600 hp it isn't as necessary.

No kidding and they knew when to and not to split gears. Take for granted the time it takes to shift gears. It takes more time to split gears. Pulling a grade you can run out of time between gears. Yeah time out of gear means you loose forward momentum and can be selecting the wrong gear for the now slower speed from coasting uphill for so long. You are in a world of hurt if you miss the shift because you start over, but, with a lower gear...

The NV5600 heavy syncromesh is a different design than the NV4500 afterthought 5th gear added to a 4 speed unit. All the gears are always spinning making for slow shifts. It does shift faster with good syncros, but, it still has a feel for when it's ready to drop in. It's faster shifting to double clutch it when needed and let it speed up or slow down with the engine. It doesn't just drop into gears like a car trans will.

Reactions: NVW
my worst "shit i missed" was an 83 gmc C60. it was towards the end of its life, i was fully loaded with a water tank (overloaded actually) and started climbing a long hill. my first downshift from 5 to 4 on the high axle i missed. shit, tried 3...too late....tried flipping to low axle.....shit.....by the time i grabbed a gear i was low axle in second....with a loooooong line of cars behind me and no place for them to pass or me to pull over. wasn'tthe only time i missed a gear on that pig, but that was the worst.

Reactions: NVW
Back