• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Do you maintain your ride?

saratoga

Unpaid Help
Reaction score
Just curious how many folks (speak up Ford and Dodge guys too :D) like to wrench on their trucks. I do it mainly because I enjoy the stress relief and it's a good time to check things out. That and no one takes care of my stuff like I do. The dealer has yet to do any type of PM on my truck in the 3 years I've had it.

What kinds of things will you do such as tire rotation, basic fluids, etc?

What oils and fluids do you like to use? Do you like to have a UOA done every so often and how do the numbers look with your maintenance intervals?

I like to use either Delo 400 or Delvac 1300 and NAPA/ WIX oil filters and Ally OEM trans filters. Usually do my maintenance on 5,000 mile intervals.

Oil and filter every 5k or so.

Lube every 7-10k.

Rotate tires every 6k or so.

Fuel filter every 10k, but I'll stretch that out to 15-20k with the FASS that I have now.

Tranny spin-on every 15k. I only have 13k on my tranny since going with Transynd, so that will stay for a while.

i do my own because i don't trust anyone at a dealership with my truck. i trust good diesel shops - but i can't afford them.

oil + filter @7,500
fuel filter @15,000
tranny filter @10,000
tire rotation @10,000
tranny fluid @...... truck has 40K on it and hasn't been changed yet. procrastinating since 25K...:queasy:

oil/filter- when dic tells me, usually 7-8k with amsoil filter and 15-40
tranny spin on- with oil change I use OEM
fuel filter- every 5k with OEM blue acdelco
trannyfluid- 15k with amsoil torquedrive, internal filter every 30k
diff's- 30k with amsoil severe gear
transfer case- 15k next replacement will be with amsoil 5-30 motor oil
lube everything- 5k
tire rotation- with oil change.

I know I go overboard but the truck sits more than it used to now.

I have been doing my own maintenance since I started to drive (over 40 years ago), with very few exceptions. Combination of being frugal (cheap) and not trusting $8 an hour "mechanics".

However, as I've gotten older and cars gotten more complicated, I have backed away from major stuff (removing heads, rebuilding trans, etc.).

I do My own because i am young and broke! :cheers2: Although the dealer has the famous 19.95 oil change, i don't know the quality of filters/oil and quality of work, so i tend to just do my own. I like to know what is going in, and what is going out (check for shavings!)

My gasser has been in our shop waiting for u-joints (greaseable, of course!) pinion and tailshaft seals, and then a full drivetrain synthetic oil change.

Since I bought my 1st truck, I have done all the routine maintance on my trucks. Just something that makes me feel better of how my truck is being taken care of. I use AC Delco filters for oil and fuel, Mobil 1 Delvac 1 oil. Also use Mobil 1 lubes and Fluids.

Oil/Filter- 9-10k
Fuel Filter- 10-15k
Spin on Trans Fliter- done ever oil change (if I'm down there already doing the engine oil, I figure I might as well to the spin on.
Diff's- Try for around 30k
Tire Rotation- 8-10k
Trans Fluid- 30k when I do the Diff's
Lube- Every Oil Change

Between business, camping trips, running kids here and there and helping take care of my mother, I don't have the time to do it myself. I have a buddy in town that does it all for me, I supply all the filters and oil etc and he charges me like $20 an hour for the labor.

I do my own LOF, including changing out all the fluids for Amsoil (except the tranmission). I installed my escalade handles inside and out, as well as the hood shield. I have also done the allo n headlight mod, and a diet version of the PPE airbox mod. (I left the fins but trimmed out the round center)

I've had the dealer:
-Take apart my passenger door to clean debris from the track and lube everything.
-Replace the relay center when my lights wouldn't stay on (relays weren't contacting when seated).
-Replace the "Info/Tune" button on my radio when I wore the black off of it.

So yeah, if it's maintenance, it's me; if it's warrantiable work, they do it.

I do every thing myself, I let the dealer take care of warranty work only but that ended at 36K so now its all me. I like Amsoil products, engine and diffs but I stayed stock on the tranny and T-case. I add Power Service at every fill up.

I do minor wrenching on the trucks...installing parts like intakes, exhausts, I do all the programming and the oil changes too..tire rotation and balances are done elsewhere and major stuff is done elsewhere...

the tediouse shit like oil changes and tranny services are done at a shop that my employer has an account at. Its easy and cheap so cant really beat that, but mods are done by me...

I do everything myself. I built the engine, tranny, tuning everything. No one else touches my truck.

On my Ranger, I've done all oil changes and tranny fluid changes since 24,000 miles. I've also done brakes, and other wear items, as well as replacing a rear axle oil seal and bearings a few years ago.

I just got my 2500, so I haven't done anything major yet, but plan on doing all the fluid changes as well as seeing what else I can tackle.

I haven't been doing the oil changes on my car as I don't quite fit underneath. But, I'm getting less and less trustworthy of everyone else, so I may start doing it myself.

My dumptruck, I've changed to plugs, distributor cap, rotor, plug wires, oil, filters, and did some rewiring, but I have a friend doing rear brakes right now, as I didn't want to even try to tear down the rear duals on a big truck

i try and do everything myself. when it comes to sensors and electrical issues (ie, the service air bag message that's been on for 2 months), it goes to the local garage. i'm getting ready to swap my tranny fluid for transynd, that'll be as in depth as i'll ever get with the transmission.

I do all of my own maintenance.

The only thing done on my truck by someone other than me was tire changing. I do not have a tire machine or tire balancer.:mad:

The next thing that will be done on my truck by somebody other than me will be the transmission. Guess who
Pimp-Daddy.gif
will do that when the time comes?
sheepsmiley-1.gif

I've always worked on my own stuff and always will. But................I've been getting lazy the last few years. I have great connections at the dealer and get most of my maintenance done there. I couldn't tell you the last time I paid for an oil change, rotations, fuel filters, etc. Larger repairs usually get chalked up to warranty too. I also know the techs that work on my truck, and they are trustworthy. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. :ciappa:

Aftermarket add on's (large or small) and misc tinkering still gets done by yours truly.

Back