• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Do it yourself rock guard!

Bigburban

Reaction score
Did this project couple of weeks ago and wanted to share if anyone is interested in DIY rock guard. I put Herculiner on the bottom door panels and painted it for around 65.00 compared to 600.00 at line x. I think prep is key and sanding enough to get a good working surface. I used 2 coats of Herculiner. I bought 2 inch foam rollers at Lowe's to apply the Herculiner and Denatured Alcohol to clean the crap out of the surface prior to putting on the Herculiner. 20 minutes after the last coat of Herculiner pull the tape off or it will be a PITA to get the tape off! Let the Herculiner dry overnite and painted it the next day, it did stay tacky for about a week so no car washing.

Attachments

• 100_1332.jpg
    100_1332.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 100_1340.jpg
    100_1340.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 100_1347.jpg
    100_1347.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 100_1329.jpg
    100_1329.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 100_1343.jpg
    100_1343.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 29
that does look good. something to keep in mind for the future.

I just helped my buddy put the Herculiner in the bed of his truck. It turned out nice for just the first layer only installed before I had to leave. He installed the second after I left. It was in my eyes 100% better than the stupid plastic lay in bed liner he had.

Word of wisdom with this stuff, use gloves. If you do not, it will not wash off.

That really looks great. I will do the same thing to my Silverado when the time comes. That suburban is a very sharp truck!

Thanks! Yea it had lots of scuff marks and rock chips plus I wanted to get rid of the side molding.

Nice job, I like that a lot! Looks really sharp!

I'd like to do something similar like that along the bottom of the door panels on my truck along with the grille and front/back bumpers. A friend of mine used the rattle can stuff on his grille and bumpers on his Ranger and they turned out really nice.

I have been doing the exact same thing with Duplicolor Bed armor but I have been leaving it black on white trucks so far. I have been doing fender flares with rattle can duplicolor bed armor too when I pull then off to paint under them.

Yours looks great, my 95 Z71 has the same paint theme and will need the lowers redone (preferably with bed liner) when I get the rocker pannels replaced. I just havent put much thought into how to do tan bed liner.

20+ Year body man here,,, That looks really good. :thumbsup: It really is all in the prep work, TIP< If you get to happy sanding, and go thru to bare metal,, go to you local body shop supplier, and order a few cans of EPOXY primer. This will give you a good sealed base to start from, Prime,,, Bedliner,, Paint. Oh and :cheers2:! Great weekend project :agreed:

Thats looks awesome, very nice work. Do you notice the uneven surface to hold more dirt/road grime than say the rest of the body?

Very nice! I seriously need to think about doin this when i get my body repainted. Living in CNY sucksss!!

Back