• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Do I send out the 6.5 heads to be rebuilt or put the diamond precups in the 6.2 heads?

Do I send out the 6.5 heads to be rebuilt or put the diamond precups in the 6.2 heads?

• Send out the 6.5 heads to be rebuilt and sell take off 6.2 heads.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Run 6.2 heads as is w/ Diamond Precups.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rebuild 6.2 heads.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WarWagon

Well it hits on 7 of 8...
Reaction score
With a Military surplus 6.2 Longblock on the way...
Considering:
Have new springs and valves already on the way.
Do not have the tools to set up new springs properly by tension and installed height (by the book) myself.
Have 6.5 heads on hand that need rebuilt.
Have 6.2 heads coming as a military take out longblock.
Used Diamond precups coming separate from engine.
Engine will spend it's life over 2000 RPM due to Yank converter.
Other special parts going in like coated pistons, ARP studs, and gapless rings.
Already way over budget/credit limits and not spending another $600 is very attractive.
6.2 heads have injectors hit passenger side manifold on install.

In depth here:
https://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/threads/bringing-1993-patch-back-from-the-dead.47688/

6.5's and the springs aren't in need of anything other than the shim under them and a rental spring compressor, if the head isn't burnt maybe lap the valves using a drill & rubber hose... might not need a complete valve rework from the head shop...

The 6.5 heads have wear on the valve seats and likely need some slop guides fixed. No getting around 'they go to the head shop' this time.

I'm doing a 6.5 turbo swap it was a 6.2 I'm wondering if I can install 6.2 heads and use 6.2 IP and injectors or just stay simple and use original heads

One of the regrets I have doing the engine swaps I have done is not rebuilding high mile and/or old heads. At the minimum new valve stem seals should be used to keep oil consumption down. Old weak worn out springs don't help. Testing and resetting the height of old springs is common.

(Forget the oddball 1982) 6.2 heads have a different injector angle than the 6.5 heads. When 6.2 heads are used with a turbo 6.5 manifold the injectors hit the manifold. It's best to use 6.5 heads. The Injection lines will bend to allow the use of 6.2 IP lines on 6.5 heads or vice versa. I have used all combo of 6.2/6.5 lines, IP's and heads on a single engine over time. This includes a DS4 6.2 longblock.

I wrap the 6.5 manifold to stop heat transfer to injectors and add gaskets to space the manifold off the 6.2 head some. Injector replacement would then require removal of the 6.5 manifold.

Back