• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Do I need new batteries?

dieseldan723

Reaction score
The past week or so, my truck has been turning over slowing first thing in the morning. The outside temps are in the 50's so it's not cold. After I run the truck for a while (to work or store) it starts fine for the rest of the day. Right now the only time it seems hard to start in first thing. I don't know if these are the original batteries as I have only had the truck for 3 1/2 years. I can not find any date on them. The GREEN dot is still GREEN.

If these are the stock batteries, they have lasted a long time. My truck went into service 08/2002. I most likely will replace them with identical batteries, unless someone thinks I should consider something else.

I thought mine were fine too because I could still see the green. Well, one of them wasn't as green but still both were green. Every now and then the batteries would just be dead. Started happening more often and I couldn't find anything that was drawing so I just replaced them and all has been good since.

uh.....don't remember exactly. I didn't want to admit this but I went to a wal-mart. There were some Napa ones that I wanted, but they weren't open when I got sick of it. They are some energizer ones that have a little more CCA than the stock ones. They also have the posts on the top too. I didn't really want that and they are close to the hood so I left the protective covers on them. I don't remember the Napa ones I wanted, but just look for some that are the right size (I don't remember that either) that also have the highest CCA, I believe stock was like 750 or something like that. The ones I got were over 800.

The green dot is just one cell,sooo... Go to Interstate batteries, or Napa and get some good ones. The Delcos have been known to have problems with the posts leaking. I run 2 Optima yellow tops, even though some people disagree and use the red tops. Red tops have problems. My good friend is a Interstate manager, and my son worked there for a while. The reds have so many problems there exchanging them no questions asked, I know I just got one....

sounds like batteries to me. mine did the same about a year ago. twonew batteries, all was good. dead cell's in the battery sometimes wont make the color activater change. mine was still green, but had two dead cells in it.

replaced them at a battery shop for ~$150, two new ac delco's, worked fine for 3 yrs, i figured why not 3 more :D.....

luck

I personally refuse to buy any conventional NAPA batteries. They corrode at the connections so bad which especially sucks with side post batteries. I did put the Napa Spiral cells (ie like an Optima) in my old Dodge and like those. No corrosion. I have had good luck with Interstate. I have little to no corrosion. If money were no object it would be optimas, but when I replaced mine I put in Armor Plate and I have had no corrosion yet.

Good luck.

What makes the optimas better than other batteries. I am no millionaire but would pay a bit extra if they were better batteries. IF these are stock batteries they have lasted nearly 6 years! IMHO, that's AWESOME!

I've heard great revies on the Optimas, the neigbor runs two in his grain truck (Cummins 855) granted it is easy spinning in summer, but I still think that is quite a task for two automotive size Optimas.

One reason i think they do good is the sealed design, i feel newer vehicles with HO alternators kinda overcharge batteries a bit, and the sealed design eliminates acid related issues, (my truck is suffering from a battery tray that is only half there..thank you john deere battery, IMHO, john deere batteries are some of the worst batteries ever:mad:)

Also, the spiral cell design, IMO(and i think they advertise it too) is more vibration resistant than conventional. (there actually is reasoning behind that strange six-pack design!:sifone:)

I feel that my truck will be getting an Optima before winter, and when i get my HD all fixed up, it will be getting new cables and two optimas. I feel that i should go red top on both applications.

Also, isn't Interstate's sealed batteries just rebadged Optimas? On conventional batteries, i've been fairly pleased with Interstate, but on the combines & tractors, we like the Blem batteries, so there is little "name brand useage" here!:sifone:

Interstate sells Optimas. Gell cells, ie.Optimas, are lees likely to be damaged from vibration, heat, and leakage. I used to be a big Delco fan until i was told about there post breakage/leaking. Although I never had that problem. The only reason I changed them out was my son gave me 2 yellow tops for x-mas. I gave the Delcos to my brother and he is still running them, been over a year...

I was looking at the Interstate Megasomething batteries. They have 800 CCA's and an 85 month warranty (probably prorated after a year or two). They are only about $110 each. Anyone run this battery? I am still having a hard time getting over the fact that the stock batteries have lasted 6 years!

uh.....don't remember exactly. I didn't want to admit this but I went to a wal-mart. There were some Napa ones that I wanted, but they weren't open when I got sick of it. They are some energizer ones that have a little more CCA than the stock ones. They also have the posts on the top too. I didn't really want that and they are close to the hood so I left the protective covers on them. I don't remember the Napa ones I wanted, but just look for some that are the right size (I don't remember that either) that also have the highest CCA, I believe stock was like 750 or something like that. The ones I got were over 800.

I did the same thing. Bought two black and yellow everstart 84 month batteries with a 3 year free replacement warranty. I've used them in the past and had good luck in two other trucks. $74 each or some nonsense.

Back