• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

dmax in a 97

paintballrepins

Reaction score
I'm wondering what everyones opinions are on this? I can get a motor and the electronics easy enough, just need to find one that was wrecked and buy the whole rig. I should be able to sell the allison to buy a zf6. my truck is a regular cab, so i would prolly need a new driveshaft. Do all of the components need to be changed out, ie power steering/brakes, ac system? what am I missing mostly. I know I need a 3in body lift, not an issue since i wanted to do that already. Ecm would need to be reprogrammed for the manual. Is it worth it or should I just rebuild the 6.5 and my 5 speed, both need it, thats why i figured the swap might be worth it.

Thanks,
Chris

Sorry about that, I'll post up any additional comments after I read through. I was even looking for that specific thread...can't believe i missed it

Don't need a 3" body lift, just a trusty BFH and some patience. You would need an ECM with a ZF6 calibration in it if you want to go the manual route. Going the manual route would make the swap a bit easier as all you would have to swap in is the ECM to make it all work. Also the 01-02 DMAX uses VERY simliar wiring codes to the earlier body style trucks so wiring is a bit simplified this way.

I was hopin to drop an lbz in it; but your posts about the motor being fit to the existing systems makes sense. I don't mind doing the body lift if it gives me some extra clearance, i already have 6in of suspension lift. It seems like after you got your build going you really enjoyed it and I always planned on doing this swap, my motor just went a little soon. I was thinking performance rebuild, but I need a new transmission as it is, third gear is soon just going to drop out on me. My question to you is, was it worth the hassle or would you recommend I rebuild my 6.5. I figure after parting out the donor truck I may actually be ahead of the game on price vs the rebuild. But i really don't know what to expect, other than a big headache until its done

If you're looking at it from a value standpoint, get a newer truck. The bulk of the money will be in the little stuff that you will need. The big ticket items cost me the least in my swap. If you fo with a 2" or 3" body lift then an LBZ is doable. You will need EFILIVE though to flash the ECM as the LBZ didn't come with a ZF6 manual in stock trim, but there is an operating system out there floating around that will let you run a manual with the LBZ. All in all I am very happy with my swap, but in hindsight I wish I would have just gotten a newer truck as it would have cost less. Then again I installed 3.42 gears, built tranny, and covered the LB7 problem areas while I was doing the swap. I could have done the swap for a WHOLE LOT LESS if I would have just slapped the stock 01 drivetrain in and let her roll.

Back