• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DMAX air box on a 6.0 gasser.

Burning oil

LeroyDiesel.com
Vendor
Reaction score
Just bought a 2003 1500HD. It had an aftermarket air filter on it. I bought a new 2003 Dmax CCLB in 2002 and installed an AFE on it soon after I bought it. I kept the original plumbing and box. The DMAX box fit perfectly on the mount, but I did have to cut the round outlet from box to MAF sensor. It now looks factory. Planning on an Amsoil EA Nano Fiber for it.

Heres a pic of old filter.
DSCN3331.JPG

I'll get an after pic tomorrow.

Thats a great idea. It's gotta flow better than the stock intake with all those bends and air turbulence. They used a flat panel filter didn't they? The round filters flow better since they have twice the surface area though.

You should look into a tune for that thing. I hear those 6 liters really come to life when you disable torque management.

x2 Ive had efi live on a 2002 4.8L w 4L80 & 4.10's (fried the 4l60 w/shift kit in <40K when I got first tune) behind it and a 2003 6.0 2500 4x4 4.56's w/ efi live. Holy nuts does it change the truck! The 03 had a diablo when I got it and the EFI wiped the floor with it.

Thats a great idea. It's gotta flow better than the stock intake with all those bends and air turbulence. They used a flat panel filter didn't they? The round filters flow better since they have twice the surface area though.

You should look into a tune for that thing. I hear those 6 liters really come to life when you disable torque management.
The 03 DMAX box has a flat filter. Did they go round at some point?
I am so ingorant of whats available (tune wise).
Is there someplace ya'll know of for info on this truck/engine?
x2 Ive had efi live on a 2002 4.8L w 4L80 & 4.10's (fried the 4l60 w/shift kit in <40K when I got first tune) behind it and a 2003 6.0 2500 4x4 4.56's w/ efi live. Holy nuts does it change the truck! The 03 had a diablo when I got it and the EFI wiped the floor with it.

Do the tunes really help fuel MPGs also like on a diesel? After owning diesels for the last 20 years its strange to go back to a gasser. Need to relearn the basics again.

The 01-05 DMAX air filter is the same as the gas engine trucks, so you basically put a stock airbox back in it. In 06 GM realized the airbox was to small and put in a differrent set-up for the diesels.

The 01-05 DMAX air filter is the same as the gas engine trucks, so you basically put a stock airbox back in it. In 06 GM realized the airbox was to small and put in a differrent set-up for the diesels.

Thats what I assumed also. I looked up the Amsoil filter and DMAX and 6.0 show the same filter. The box itself is different though as I had to cut the outlet back alittle. I thought about buying a 6.0 box but a quick search found new replacement is $160ish. A junk yard may have one for less. but my filter box has been in a plastic container for years, so I put it to use and it was free. With the Amsoil element do you think it will flow enough? remember this is a gasser.

Just curious but why did you put the stock air box back on it?

Look into S&B. They make quality stuff with enclosed air boxes. Aftermarket intakes do help with those engines.

I hollowed out my 02's filter box w/ amsoil filter and ran S&B on the 03.

I only got about 1mpg more on the 02 (got 22 lowered on OEM 20's 32's)and 2-3 on the 03 10-11mpg lifted on 33's (was 7-8). Poblem is I changed the gears at the same time as the tune on both trucks so who knows what made the difference.

02 was all highway and 03 was the farm beast. Sold both to get out of debt and started in on 6.5's

I was a member of gmfullsize.com, they are pretty harsh to newbies but have good info and love their 6.0's

Yeah like I said above my 6.0 got below 10 with a 4in lift, 33's, and 4.10s. the 4.56's and EFI Live got me above 10 and alot of power. The 6.0 can take what ever you dish out though and never really has any problems.

Had a 2000 SCLB 2500 w/ 6.0 and it was strong but all it ever got on a REAL good day was 14 mpg. Usually at 13. Silly me, I traded for an '03 8.1/Allison so I got worse mileage. That one did, however, come equipped with LOTS of power and did not have the factory installed piston slap...like the 6.0 did. ;)

Im giving thought to selling it. Even though its a "toy" 10MPG just hurts. If I keep it a 12V Cummins is in its future.
The guy I bought it from led me to believe it got 14 city 16 hwy.
Man this truck is so nice too. I just spent $400 yesterday on new GM driver side cushion, heater and leather upolstery.

The truck is very powerfull, but 10MPG!!!!

How many miles are on it? It shouldn't be getting mileage that shitty. Low teens in one thing but 10 is big block territory. The cats might be clogged. It needs a tune for sure. I've heard of guys using EFI live and getting 2-3 more mpg as well as a ton more low end beans. That motor can make a ton of power, it's just choked down.

Had a 2000 SCLB 2500 w/ 6.0 and it was strong but all it ever got on a REAL good day was 14 mpg. Usually at 13. Silly me, I traded for an '03 8.1/Allison so I got worse mileage. That one did, however, come equipped with LOTS of power and did not have the factory installed piston slap...like the 6.0 did. ;)

My 01 6.0 HD had it bad. The first 10 seconds of any cold start: TICKTICKTICKTICKTICKtaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptap.......silence. Never burned any oil though.

That truck was quick but like everyone said, 12-13 no matter what. 15 was the best it ever did going 65 for four hours straight.

How many miles are on it? It shouldn't be getting mileage that shitty. Low teens in one thing but 10 is big block territory. The cats might be clogged. It needs a tune for sure. I've heard of guys using EFI live and getting 2-3 more mpg as well as a ton more low end beans. That motor can make a ton of power, it's just choked down.

165K. With life getting in the way its hard to find time to research the 6.0 and what mods I can do. How much is the EFI live. I guess I need to make a call to my suppliers and see.

Back