• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DIY pre oiler tank.

L98TPI

Reaction score
I am guessing I am not the first that came up with this since many often work in parallel with the same problem.
0114131728.jpg
Here is a way to a cheap and effective pre oilier for new engines or those that have been sitting. One old style recycled propane tank and a few parts from the big box store is all that is needed.
0114131657.jpg
The trick here is the 1/4" compression to 1/2" NP adapter on the top the standpipe is going through is modified by drilling out the lip inside it that normally prevents lines from going through. On the end you put whatever adapter you need. In this case a 1/4" flare, since I am going to recycle some old A/C test hoses to connect to the engines oil galley. To add the oil you loosen the 1/4" to 1/2" adapter and pull the stand pipe out. Stick in a funnel and fill it up.
0114131658.jpg
At first I was fretting that these 20# tanks are about 6 gallons and was way big to oil one engine. If you put the entire load of oil in this way you need just eight quarts with the diesel. But I realized if I added valves to this minimal version, maybe a schrader valve for the inlet instead of or in addition to the QC then I can take advantage of the extra space and pre pressurize the tank and take it any where to deploy.

This has many possibilities for other stuff both good and maybe nefarious :eek:
My buddy pointed out it would be an excellent bug sprayer. Strap to the back of an atv with a appropriate outlet nozzle and drive and spray away. A spray wand from TSC would be another way to go.
You could fill it with fuel and use it to substitute for an in tank pump for testing.
You could use it to add antifreeze and water into tractor tires for ballast by changing the connections.
You could use it for just airing up tires. :rolleyes5:
I am sure I will find many uses in the future.

good writeup!

we have a few propane air tanks. got a 20 lb bottle and a 100 lb bottle for the service truck. the 100 lb can fill a combine tire pretty well!

Thanks!

We do have a few combines around here, VA is still #7 or 8 in grain production in the US. The combines tend to be smaller though. I saw a cool set up once. A trailer that had a racks for a grain head on one side and a corn head on the other, it carried the combine over the tires. You would drive the combine off and up to the side with the header you wanted. Hook up, back off, and start harvesting. I think the trailer was made from an old lowboy trailer.

good writeup!

we have a few propane air tanks. got a 20 lb bottle and a 100 lb bottle for the service truck. the 100 lb can fill a combine tire pretty well!

what are the Gleaners around there?

On the propane bottles, i wonder if you can use one for a home made water fire extinguisher (or portable pressurized coolant carrier to be politically correct)? eventually it will rust, but I bet it would last a while.

There is one Gleaner in my neighborhood . I see it every year running corn and what I think is rape or something that look like it
what are the Gleaners around there?

On the propane bottles, i wonder if you can use one for a home made water fire extinguisher (or portable pressurized coolant carrier to be politically correct)? eventually it will rust, but I bet it would last a while.

Let me try this again NOT on the smart phone.
There is one Gleaner in my neighborhood. I see it every year running corn and what I think is rape or millet or something that looks like it. Its a small older model, I will get the model name next time I see it. Fields this far inland against the mountains tend to be hilly. Creek and river sides are often planted in corn. But the poorer rocky ground is were the winter wheat goes and that is typically very up and down. Most fields are a couple hundred acres before you get to a road, creek or house. A big header would be 25" most a lot less like narrow enough to drive carefully down these narrow roads. I have seen JD pull behind combines, popular because of the hills. IH and JD are both seen with more JD I think mainly because of the large dealer that has been around from way back. The big thing right around me is cow calf operations.

cool stuff!

post some pics in the farming thread this upcoming year, its allways cool to learn about different areas of the country!

It just dawned on my feeble brain that this rig could be used for sucking also. Like pulling oil out of an engine or transmission through the dip stick. Instead of air pressure on the side port hook up a vacuum pump. An air to vacuum pump is a cheap way to go for a job like this. http://www.harborfreight.com/air-vacuum-pump-with-r134a-and-r12-connectors-96677.html

I wonder, could you catch freon with a rig like this? OK you AC gurus chime in.

Back