• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DIY oil flush

Fysh Guide

Fysh Guide
Reaction score
Last Friday after work, I decided to do my regular 4000 km oil change. I had 7 quarts of Amsoil 15w40 but when I went to drain the old oil I had that same old concern that I've had for every oil change since I bought my truck 2 years ago. Even after each change, th oil is so black. Even the Powerstrokes at work change out cleaner than this. As luck would have it there was a 20 litre pail of dino 15w40 that was not going to be used in our plow trucks and the boss said I could have it. So I zipped down to the auto parts store and grabbed a couple of cheap filters and some kleenflo engine flush. I changed the oil 3 times, twice with a new cheapo filter and engine flush and the final time with just dino oil. I idled the engine flush for 5 minutes both times. The third change finally started to look cleaner.
Then I changed out the third flush of oil and put in the premium filters and the Amsoil synthetic. The oil was as clean as I had ever seen it. Maybe it was just my excitement but I swear that truck ran smoother and stronger on the way home. Monday morning it was still somewhat clean even after 300 km on the weekend.
This has inspired me to think about the next oil change. Maybe I will feel cocky enough to finally lift the motor, change the mounts and pull the pan, install the stud girdles that have been collecting dust, and clean out the inside of the pan!!! It must be filthy!

While you'll be on the way to do all that job, think about relocating oil filter.

Grab an Amsoil or clone relocating kit, install it, and take the opportunity to install too a by-pass filter (eaBp100 or +) to catch soot.
This is what I've done, and the result is awesome

My understanding is that the oil catches the soot, and it is the soot that turns it black. I know that when you run 100% biodiesel, it doesn't turn black at all.

Rob :)

Back