• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

diy a pillar clip repair

stacks04

McLovin
Reaction score
this is a diy for your a pillar attachment clip. this was originally posted elsewhere on the net, by alligator diesel performance. i placed it here for the help of any individual having this same issue.

Have you ever pulled off the A Pillar and the brass colored clip fell off? This usually means that it won't be re-installed again due to the plastic the holds it has been wore out. When this happens, you normally have to go down to the GM dealer and buy a new pillar or a bag of new clips. Well, i decided to fix the problem once and for all. It only takes about 5 minutes from start to finish and cost's about $.10, so I have coined it the "Ten Cent Clip Fix". I have used this on about 30 occasions and haven't had one fail yet.

Tools needed, a drill, a 1/4" Drill bit, two 8" long Zip Ties for strength and a new clip might be handy, but not necessary if it is in good working condition (I have included a new one in the photo).(see pic one)

To start, place the clip over the plastic mount and drill behind it with the 1/4" bit (see pic 2)

Once you have both holes drilled push the Zip Tie's through the openings and then wrap them through the inside of the clip. (see pic 3&4)

And finally the finished product and a savings of around $30 for a new pillar
(see pic 5)

Attachments

• clip 1.jpg
    clip 1.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 55
  • clip 2.jpg
    clip 2.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 69
  • clip 3.jpg
    clip 3.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 78
  • clip 4.jpg
    clip 4.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 72
  • clip 5.jpg
    clip 5.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 92
Great idea...I did this repair yesterday (while hobbling around on crutches) and it works great! much better than OE!

Wow great Idea! I had the problem a few time and tried to bend the clip so it held better.

So the follow up would be... I got a loose a pillar :rolleyes5:

Metal Clips

Nice fix ........
Doe's anyone know where to get...OR have a part # for the Other Clips that hold down and IN the Plastic trim foot panels and side pillar piece's?? Visited my local dealer and they have NO Clue What i was refering to' so i went to the back and talked with the Body shop foreman. They gave me a Song and Dance....That the metal clips were formed with the plastic piece's ......RIGHT..... No clue eyether........
I am in need of some of these, due to the recent Install of my rear heated seat's, for the Kids Fanny's and Complete Cab sound deadening Install (Bigg Diffrence).
When Popping the panels off some of the tiny sharp grabbers busted off and are unuseable.
Thanks the Baad Panel Tab Buster :nono:

most of the clips are replaceable. if you would be so kind and be a bit more descriptive maybe even post a pic of what your looking for and i will help you.

I just purchased the clip shown in the picture... I squished the original one. That clip is $11.... I will do this fix just to make sure it stays...

Back