• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

different quality brake shoes?

Basically the difference is in brake life, fade resistance and dust. I've always had the attitude that it's far more important to stop when you need to than go. You get what you pay for...

Last edited:
I noticed a huge difference in my Camaro from the normal rotors and normal pads to a slotted rotor and composite pads. So I went with slotted rotors and composite pads on my truck and yes it was a big difference in braking. Way better. I got hawk composite, which are not exactly ceramic and not exaclty metal, but a combo of both. I think ours came stock with ceramic, so if they try to sell metallic then it would be bad.

I got the lifetime warranty pads once, thinking it would save me money.
Pads WILL last a long time, but they are so hard that the rotors were
worn out within 20,000 miles. I'd much rater change pads than a rotor,
I'll never get lifetime warranty pads again - got ceramic on it now,
works very well

I got the expensive shoes because the trailer I tow like to short out their brakes and make my truck stop it all on a regular basis.
The drum systems are beyond obsolete... However when they are adjusted they do work.
I like the results with the $100.00 set of shoes as my brakes work very well.

I have to agree with the "you get what you pay for". The cyro-treated slotted rotors and cyro-treated drums with the high end pads and shoes will give you the best performing brakes.$$$$$$$$$$ High end pads on cheap rotors don't mix well.

I always run the most expensive ceramic based I can buy.

Ceramic don't leave rusting dust behind, and are supposed to stop better with load they say.

It is completely believable to picture them making the shoe compound material and adding more or less of the 'good' and 'expensive' ingredients to make each quality of shoes. I sure want as much of the 'good stuff' as possible on my brakes.

Then again, I don't turn my drums or rotors either, I just slap on new pads and shoes and call it a day :)

60,000 miles I've run on her, I've replaced the pads twice, and the shoes once. As far as I know my rotors are original (and look it) as are my big ol' drums.

Half of the battle of getting good life and stopping power is proper installation using a good lubricant (white grease is my choice) on all contact, sliding and pivot points. Combine that with good quality ceramic pads/shoes and you're good to go.
BTW, I have 142 k on my original brakes and no need for replacement any time soon.

This is an antique and obsolete brake discussion. You guys with the modern service free 200,000+ mile 4 wheel disc brake systems... :wrongforum:

This is an antique and obsolete brake discussion. You guys with the modern service free 200,000+ mile 4 wheel disc brake systems... :wrongforum:
Lighten up Francis...:rolleyes5:
Not like I've owned the truck forever. I was doing brake jobs before you were a dream in Daddys eyes. I got well over 100k on the brakes I installed on my '83 Scottsdale (3 times) before I junked it at 367k (rust) and a bunch of other old trucks/cars that I drove for 200 to 300 k miles. Don't make the mistake of thinking you're the only one who knows how to work on trucks and cars because you own a 6.5.

:grouphug: Sorry, I am just making light of the old brake system vs. the new high mile systems. If we got over 12K out of the brakes on a 95 we were doing good... With the new brake systems you can almost forget about how to do brakes... :hihi: Not saying you don't know how just bad humor.

OK, I won't be pi$$ed off at you any more...:hello:

I still maintain that the secret is proper care, cleanliness and lubrication at installation for the longest life. My mid 90s trucks never were all that good on brakes but IIRC they always got better than 60k.
Almost all my and wife's miles are highway so that's a big difference.

on the same topic, is there an easy way to tell what brake shoes my truck has without taking the drums off? I know they are the 13" jobs but im getting a listing for a 2.5" wide shoe and a 3.5" wide shoe.

I don't know for sure. I do know that my 3/4 dodge has smaller shoes than 1 tons.

Back