• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Diff between 1995 GMC BURB 1500 5.7 6 lug and a 1995 GMC BURB 2500 5.7 6 lug

1995Truck

Reaction score
I have 1995 GMC Burb 1500 5.7 6 lug and I have a chance to buy a 1995 GMC burb 2500 5.7 6 lug, or at least that's what the badge/ad says it is. I have not had a chance to actually look at it or check vins or codes in glove box. I was wondering a what is changed from a 1500 to a 2500 with only a 5.7 and 6 lug hubs? Is it just the suspension? how about the brakes??? I think in 1995, the 2500 came standard with the 5.7... but I thought they all had the 8 lug wheels. There must have been other options in 1995 to beef up the 2500 and maybe this one does not have them?

Better brakes, yes. The 1/2 ton brakes were fast wearing undersized Obsolete rear Drum Crap. At least the 2500's had bigger brakes on them. This is a "Light" 3/4 ton as the heavier ones did have 8 lug. I believe the door stickers were like ~7000 lbs 6 lug vs. 8600 lbs 8 lug GVWR.

thanks for the comments, Not sure about the trany change, i found a spec sheet on line for 1995 saying the 5.7 2500 still used the 4L60 in 1995. I also see the rear axles cap jumps to 6000 with a 3.73 or 4.10 available and of course it sits almost two inches higher

Consider getting the VIN and spending $10 on CompNine<dot>com

CompNine is able to getl the as-built list. Pull the as-built for both vehicles and compare. Mystery solved :)

I never heard of CompNine. Does the CompNine give more build details than the RPO codes and the RPO descriptions I.e. it would give full description or model/part numbers of the axles and brakes and other key items. Or is it the same description list you would get from the RPO in the glove box? I have a GMC suburban sales brochure from 1995 and it really does not say much about the differences between the 1500 or 2500 other than the engines options, towing gave… just the basics. There must more details like 8 lug vs 6

CompNine gives the RPO codes and their matching description (same as found via online RPO lists and descriptions).

If you have the glove-box sticker with the RPO codes, it should match what CompNine returns; only difference is that CompNine will show the code's description which saves a lot of time.

From this information, it is fairly easy to understand what options the vehicle had when it was built.

Back