• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Diesel vs Gas NV4500

JeffsJeep04

Reaction score
I'm guessing the trannies are the same since the bell housing pattern is the same. What about the flywheel/clutch setup? I'm going to eventually convert my truck over to a hand shaker, if I can use gasser parts I can source stuff MUCH easier. I'd preferably like to grab everything from the flywheel back (including the floor shift t-case) and put the whole works in my truck. Anyone know how close the driveshafts are to lining up?

6.5 NV4500 has a little harmonic damper on the mainshaft( i think the mainshaft, might be another shaft) otherwise, they are both NV4500LD trannies. NV4500HD only behind Cummins/V10.

The slave cyl. is the same AFAIK, only thing is there were a lot of breaks. if you want to make it like it came from the factory, you have to get a 97 tranny, as there are gear ratio changes, case and top cover differences, etc.
check out the NV4500 section at quad4x4.com

I'm not very concerned about it being period correct, the extra low 1st gear has it's advantages and disadvantages to me. Could I use a dodge 4500HD with a chevy bellhousing? How close is the t-case shifter on a dodge to lining up with where one should go on a chevy?

JJ, you CAN use the 4500HD with the 6.5. BUT....there are a couple of things you'll want to do first.

#1 - You need to replace the input shaft with one that is compatible with the GM. The HD version is longer and larger in diameter, IIRC.

#2 - You'll need to change the bellhousing.

#3 - The 5th gear on the HD has an issue of going bad. IIRC correctly, it can be fixed. There is a site that has the parts you need to prevent it. It's some kind of nut, I think, that fixes the issue all together. Sorry, I can't remember the name of the site, though.

I'm not very concerned about it being period correct, the extra low 1st gear has it's advantages and disadvantages to me. Could I use a dodge 4500HD with a chevy bellhousing? How close is the t-case shifter on a dodge to lining up with where one should go on a chevy?

No, the input shaft on the dodge is bigger than the chevy

Ok, that solves that question!

Anyone know about diesel vs gas flywheel/crank bolt patterns? Am I going to want to get the stuff from a diesel truck, or can I pull parts from a gasser? Gasser trucks are comparatively common up here with the 5 speeds. Anything that came from a diesel is automatically twice as expensive.

If you are close to texas you are more than welcome to use my truck for measurements. You just can not have anything off it. I will need it running when I finally come back to the states.:D

Haha...I appreciate the offer, but that'd be a bit of a commute from central WI ):h

Are you serving in Germany? If so, then thank you! :patriot:

I'm guessing the trannies are the same since the bell housing pattern is the same. What about the flywheel/clutch setup? I'm going to eventually convert my truck over to a hand shaker, if I can use gasser parts I can source stuff MUCH easier. I'd preferably like to grab everything from the flywheel back (including the floor shift t-case) and put the whole works in my truck. Anyone know how close the driveshafts are to lining up?

I have the same plan and will be getting ahold of a donor vehicle. As soon as I find the right one, I'll buy it and set the two trucks side by side and do the swap. Diesel for diesel will be what I do. I can buy a "kit" from all sorts of salvage yards, but I'd rather have something salvagable when I'm done to turn around and either use as a sacrificial anode on the winter roads, or sell it off with an automatic.

The flywheel needs to match the engine, not the transmission, and the 6.5 is an externally balanced engine anyway, so you will need one specific to the 6.5. As for the balancer on the output shaft of the transmission, I've pulled a 4x4 NV4500 from a gasser with the balancer and one from a 6.5 diesel without the balancer, so who knows how they decided which one went where.

Be aware too that not all Chevy truck 5-speeds are NV4500's--all manual equipped trucks with 5 and 6 lug wheels except the 6.5 diesels had the relatively weak NV3500 with an aluminum case, MUCH smaller internals, and integral bellhousing. NV4500 trannys only came in 8-lug trucks, i.e. heavy 3/4 and one tons, with the possible exception of the diesels.

Yup, I know only the HD trucks got the 4500. I don't think any of the half ton diesel trucks got 5 speeds, did they? If they did, they'd be uber rare. I guess the ultimate option would be to find a complete donor truck and rebuild the motor in it, then swap the whole motor/tranny/t-case into my truck when that's done. Swap my running 6.5/auto/pushbutton t-case into the donor truck and sell it for what I paid for it.

new fly wheel and clutch from southbend clutch is 500 buc's...put one in the 93 1ton 20,000 miles ago and i have not been nice to it either(see photo album) and has never slip once....

Back