• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Died on the highway

DZZ71

"Living The 6.5 Dream"
Reaction score
Was on my way to school and almost made it to my over pass and the truck died. Now it just cranks over and over and over no sputter or anything. I swapped in my spare PMD and that did nothing I checked to make sure lift pump is running and it's vibrating when I put my hand on it. The wierd thing is when I turn the ignition foward my glow plug light doesent come on now?? Im gonna half to get this truck towed back to the shop. Any ideas for what else I can check? I had no engine lights on before the truck died. But I will defiantly be checking codes with the Gmtd scan tool later today. Thanks

Last edited:
I forgot to add the truck has died a few times in the past week or so but fired right up and while I was on the highway this morning my oil pressure gauge was going crazy damn near bouncing right around then it would level out depending on how fast i was driving then go back to bouncing. Maybe it's computer related. I have another ECM I can swap in to try if need be.

Possible ignition switch failure. Bad fuse connection/blown fuse

Hopfully it's Somthing simple and I won't half to get it towed back to town later today,

Engine Shut Off solenoid.long 1" thick canister on front of IP.
You should hear/feel it click when cycling the key.
No power there means no power to the PMD as well.
Power but no clicky means failed ESO and no start.

Is ESO a common failure on these pumps? Also if I have no power to pmd or ESO would that be ignition related? Where would I start looking for power if the ESO doesent click? Sorry for the many questions

In the engine fuse block there is a fuse for the ESO(fuel shut off sol), pull it and shine the fuse spades up. I've had trouble with my 95. Sometimes it will throw a code 13 if it's acting up.

It ended up being a blown ECM1 fuse. The oil gauge is still bouncing all over the place. Maybe a bad OPS? I would just like to say thanks for the fast responses yesterday. You guys rock! I had enough info by the end of the day to start diagnosing my truck on the side of the highway and fixed the problem with out being towed.

Back