• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Did I limp the tranny again????

Sparky8370

Do chickens have large talons
Reaction score
Ok Mods I'll let you place this where you think it's appropriate. You'll see after reading that it could go in a number of forums depending on what the real issue is.

I was driving along on the highway today. There was a van in the right lane and I was in the left. It kept speeding up and slowing down and it was aggravating me, like he was doing it intentionally. I had my cruise set at 70. So I stomped on it, we were going up a hill at the time. I looked back saw some smoke and watched him get smaller. I didn't let off the pedal quite soon enough. Bam, oh shit. I know the routine now. (But there is no ses light this time.)I pull into the right lane and wait for it to slow down enough to catch a gear. It's now stuck in 4th gear. I pull off the next exit and put it in neutral and tow/haul and coast to the end of the exit. I put it back in gear and take off to find the southbound highway because I didn't have EFI with me to reset any codes. But it's shifting somewhat normal. There is no northbound onramp here so I drive through town to get to the northbound lane, half expecting it not to go into 5th once I get on the highway. I get on the highway and everything seems fine. When I got home I checked and these codes were stored in the ecm:
Diagnostic Trouble Codes
U1064 "Lost Class 2 Communications With Body Controller - Device $40" PHC ($10) "Powertrain Control Module (PCM)"
U1024 "Lost Class 2 Communications With Transmission Controller - Device $18" PHC ($10) "Powertrain Control Module (PCM)"
U1026 "Lost Class 2 Communications With Automatic Transfer Case Controller - Device $1A" PHC ($10) "Powertrain Control Module (PCM)"
U1041 "Lost Class 2 Communications With Brake/Traction Controller - Device $29" PHC ($10) "Powertrain Control Module (PCM)"

These codes are different than the first or second time it happened. The first time they were
p0700, p1781, and p0735.
I didn't document them the second time, but there were only two if I remember right. I believe one of them was a communication one with the tcm. But it happened almost identical the second time and this time. I was driving on the highway going 65 and punched it. The first time I was just driving after installing a tune and not resetting taps.

So what is this problem? Is this just the tranny causing the whole thing to have a shit fit? It's different codes each time but it seems to be the same cause.

Before I had a built transmission I could limp my transmission just as you describe. It got easier and easier where I couldn't even roll into it at 70MPH.

I would believe at this point your C3's are pretty well burnt.

Many times I would catch it before it would neutralize itself and not code or go into limp mode. Just build the transmission you'll be glad you did. You are MISSING so much NOT getting it to the ground.

Before I had a built transmission I could limp my transmission just as you describe. It got easier and easier where I couldn't even roll into it at 70MPH.

I would believe at this point your C3's are pretty well burnt.

Many times I would catch it before it would neutralize itself and not code or go into limp mode. Just build the transmission you'll be glad you did. You are MISSING so much NOT getting it to the ground.
I'm wondering if that's what happened, but I got the codes I listed so I was kinda scratching my head.:banghead:
I'd be willing to to bet I've got some burnt clutches too, at least from the smell of the fluid. Money has been pretty tight lately though, so I'll have to sell my wheeler so I can buy some parts. I want to make it a 6 speed while I've got it apart. Never had one of these apart, hell I've never even had an auto tranny apart. The only tranny I've ever had apart was the one from my Kawasaki KD80 dirtbike when I was a kid.

well as far as taking it apart it is alot easier than you think. go and buy the atsg manual and read it and learn first.

well as far as taking it apart it is alot easier than you think. go and buy the atsg manual and read it and learn first.
I def am going to read up on it first. I've seen this coming for quite a while, as you can tell from some of the tranny threads I've started. I've been being careful with it, and not beating on it too much. I should have been trying to save some pennies in the mean time. I just don't want to do the kit, then rip it apart again to make it a 6 speed.

Does anybody know if I do the 6 speed valve body, would I get a kit with the trans go for the 5 or 6 speed?

I def am going to read up on it first. I've seen this coming for quite a while, as you can tell from some of the tranny threads I've started. I've been being careful with it, and not beating on it too much. I should have been trying to save some pennies in the mean time. I just don't want to do the kit, then rip it apart again to make it a 6 speed.

Does anybody know if I do the 6 speed valve body, would I get a kit with the trans go for the 5 or 6 speed?

That's an interesting question I don't recall seeing before but might have missed it.

i think if you called suncoast or mike l they would set you up with what you needed. odds are s/c sells the valvebody with the trans go parts already in it. then all you would need is the converter valve and main pressure valve.

My memory sucks :confused:

But if I recall on the 01-05 Transgo kits don't you have to change the springs on C2 return plate? In 6 speeds this isn't necessary so you can put the Jr kit in which is basically the same transgo kit but no C2 clutch springs?

So if I'm right you will need the FULL 01-05 kit for a non 6 speed transmission.

Also long ago MikeL and I believe Transgo put a book together called Transmission Times. You might inquire about the availability of that to assist in your rebuild.

I have one and it has helped me and other do it yourselfers!

By the way MOST likely your damage done is to C3 clutches. My 01 clutches after numerous abuse and not capable of holding at 70 MPH roll ons to zing in to neutral showed C2 good but C3 burnt glazed BAD.

But since your doing a full rebuild it's neither her nor there just useless info. :biggrin5:

'01 through '05 Allisons need a full Transgo no matter what year valve body you use. The 6 speed upgrade consists of a modded valve body with Transgo valves and a TCM.

so if he were to buy the s/c 6spd upgrade while buying the rest of the trans parts would he still need to buy the whole trans go kit or just the rest of the parts minus the valve body springs?

so if he were to buy the s/c 6spd upgrade while buying the rest of the trans parts would he still need to buy the whole trans go kit or just the rest of the parts minus the valve body springs?

Mike can answer it better but I'm bored and I'd throw my .02 cents in. :D

The 6 Speed Allison has addressed the issue with C2 you'll still have to do that with the 5 speed Allison. The 6 Speed Valve Body doesen't come with the Transgo Jr installed and you'd need the FULL kit for a 5 speed.

The 6 Speed upgrade was designed to upgrade a 5 speed for fuel econo and for the guys that just have to have everything. :ciappa:

The 6 Speed Allison has addressed the issue with C2 you'll still have to do that with the 5 speed Allison. The 6 Speed Valve Body doesen't come with the Transgo Jr installed and you'd need the FULL kit for a 5 speed.

The 6 Speed upgrade was designed to upgrade a 5 speed for fuel econo and for the guys that just have to have everything. :ciappa:
Bingo, that's the main reason I'm wanting that. I like to have the power, but this isn't a race truck. If it was, it would probably be a 2 wheel drive with out trac racks or a plow.

not being a dick :sifone: but mike said above the valvebody comes with trans go valves. based off that my question was if the valve body comes with the transgo valves and stuff already in it, which i would assume it would and mike confirmed it unless i read it wrong, then will s/c or whatever dealer sell the transgo for the 5spd minus the parts already in the 6spd valvebody. i understand the rest of the trans needs the transgo kit for the 5spd.

not being a dick :sifone: but mike said above the valvebody comes with trans go valves. based off that my question was if the valve body comes with the transgo valves and stuff already in it, which i would assume it would and mike confirmed it unless i read it wrong, then will s/c or whatever dealer sell the transgo for the 5spd minus the parts already in the 6spd valvebody. i understand the rest of the trans needs the transgo kit for the 5spd.

Oh ok I guess that would matter if their using the same kit and have the extra parts you need or have access for the parts you need I suppose.

That would suck if you had to spend a duece and only need part of it to complete.

Dick out. :smilielol5:

They will install the valves out of the kit in the 6 speed valve body and send you the rest od the kit minus trim valves.

Back