• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DIC question

2500 D/A great

Nick There is all the difference in the world in the operation of the Chevy 2500 over the Ford F-150. The 150 is a good truck. It would pull my camper good on flat ground but had to constantly be on the gas in even the slightest rolling country. I had to go 75+- down hills to get 50+- up the other side. Had to be really flat road to use cruise. Always had OD out to pull. I would find myself helping it pull hills by sitting up in seat and rocking not realizing it. I didn't realize how tired it made me to pull with it until I pulled with the Chevy. The Ford is a good truck for what it is designed for but not for a 7500lb camper.

We have a 25ml stretch between Bainbridge, Ga. and the Fl state line with several close rather steep hills. The Allison shifted down 1 gear 3-4 times in this stretch of road. From there on to Live Oak Fl, about 130mls, it never shifted down again. I just sat back and listened as the fuel was added and the truck just glided on up the hill. Didn't have to help it out at all. :D

About the only difference in the feel of the truck loaded and unloaded was the fuel gauge. I got 12+- MPG both ways. Better than 9 MPG on the Ford 150. I set cruise on 65 and let her go.

I always get tired of sitting when I drive because when I get started I don't like to stop till I get to my destination. In the Ford 150 I was usually tense in my shoulders and back from the strain I imposed on myself in helping it pull. Not so with the Chevy. At first I caught myself anticipating a hill and starting to strain but when the truck didn't slow down I soon settled in and let it do the work and not me. I was more relaxed than I have been in a long time pulling the camper. That was nice. I could actually carry on a conversation with my DW in peace.

Can you see I LOVEmy truck?

Later
Dewayne

Excellent review...! You probably realize by now that you made a wise choice.

Can we help you with anything else? More power from programmers, intakes/exhausts, gauges to monitor what the engine is doing, air bags for a stable, leveled ride, shocks for much better road handling abilities?

These things are addictive and spending money for upgrades comes easy...It becomes a sickness...):h

I am think of maybe a programmer for better mileage, EGT Guage, maybe boost gauge. Truck already has a trans temp gauge in the dash. My camper is all I pull right now so don't need more power. Looking at blocking EGR valve and maybe finger stick if needed later on. Also rerouting PVC system.

Got to go slow now as after this month I might be out of a job. The city is trying to sell the city shop where I work. 6mo to retirement so that sucks. I have 27yrs in so I can still retire but won't draw anything until 62 with city or SS which is Sept.

Got to make my mind up soon if I am going to synthetic oils as I am at about 55% on engine oil.

Later
Dewayne

I am think of maybe a programmer for better mileage, EGT Guage, maybe boost gauge. Truck already has a trans temp gauge in the dash. My camper is all I pull right now so don't need more power. Looking at blocking EGR valve and maybe finger stick if needed later on. Also rerouting PVC system.

Got to go slow now as after this month I might be out of a job. The city is trying to sell the city shop where I work. 6mo to retirement so that sucks. I have 27yrs in so I can still retire but won't draw anything until 62 with city or SS which is Sept.

Got to make my mind up soon if I am going to synthetic oils as I am at about 55% on engine oil.

Later
Dewayne

Let me know if I can help.

Back