• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DIC question

ldl

Reaction score
How accurate is the DIC on the % of use of fuel filter and engine oil.

I bought my truck in Dec., 2008 and have put about 4000 miles on truck and the DIC says 74% on oil and 83% on fuel filter. Dealer I bought from says he changed oil and fuel filter before I bought it. I have no reason to doubt dealer but that seems like a short time for the fuel filter.

As I don't have any history on the truck or experience with the system I was wondering what you guys think.

Power seems good and it runs good but I haven't pulled anything yet so don't have anything to base it on.

Do you guys use EOM filters or aftermarket?

Thanks
Dewayne

Its a mix between OEM and aftermarket it seems. I use OEM stuff and generally use the DIC for a "guide" when it comes to changing oil and filters. I generally change my fuel filter at or around every 10k miles and oil between 7500-10,000 miles, which usually leaves the DIC to around 20% oil life. GM basically recommends to use the DIC as oil changes every 3000 miles is a myth of the past and no longer applies.

Have you thought of running synthetic fluids, like Amsoil? They have some pretty good stuff and you can go up to around 25,000 miles between changes.

I will have to agree with what Nick has said above. You will receive many opinions but you will need to pick and chose what works for you and your budget. I currently run all OEM type filters. I change my oil and filter every 10K at the same time I also change the fuel filter as will as the Allison external spin on. I do run a synthetic oil but I am not into the extended drain intervals. With every oil change I have a UOA done to keep an eye one the insides of the engine.
Amsoil seems to have a very good product that when used in conjunction with additional filtration will yield lengthly drain intervals. We here have a vendor for Amsoil products. Good luck and again welcome to DTR!!!

Nick, am I looking at these figures wrong? Is the % what is left for use or what has been used? I was thinking it was the % use and if not then I have further to go before change time than I though.

I have been looking at several forums lately and have seen the Amisol recommended by some. Like I said I have never had a diesel myself and have been taking serious thought about synthetics as I approach my first oil change. The City shop I work in just changed to synthetic in all the city equipment recently. We don't have enough data as of now to know any actual benefits other than extended oil changes.

On some other forums some mentioned using oil sampling along with the synthetic to determine change time. On our Cat equip we change the oil at the specific time but we also use the sampling because it is required for warranty purposes.

Thanks for the info.
Dewayne

The % is whats left. 25% means your oil has 25% life left in it. The computer dosent know what kind of oil you use so its simply based on idling hours, mileage and time.

We do have sponsors here who can help you with exactly what you're asking. I'm by no means an oil expert but we do have an expert here who will see this (Wrecker) and educate all of us on the fine print details.

Your OLM (Oil Life Monitor) show how much life the oil/fuel filter has left. Starts at 100% and counts down to 0%. Many people change their fuel filters before the DIC tells them to. It is a conservative practice. As far as oil changes, change it when the DIC tells you to, unless you want to explore extended drain products (let me know if you do).

OEM filters are fine, some aftermarket are fine, some suck, some are better than OEM. There is lots of info here on air filters and oil filters. Let me know if you have any questions.

The fuel filter life monitor is simply a countdown clock from 15,000 miles. It does not work the same as the oil life monitor.

The fuel filter life monitor is simply a countdown clock from 15,000 miles. It does not work the same as the oil life monitor.

Right on! I have found it best to change the fuel filter about every 10K. Since it's not practacle to strain the fuel when filling up you never know how much crap is in it and keeping the filter changed will only prevent fuel related problems from occuring.

As for oil, I was using Rotella 5w-40 syn. for a while. I found at every oil change I was 2 qt's low. The last oil change I switched to Mobil Delvac 15w40. I checked the level the other day and does not appear to have moved.

I also have a friend with a LBZ who switched to Syn. and he said his truck started burning oil as well after he switched. I'm not saying this is a problem but just what I have found.

I've been running Rotella Synthetic 5w-40 since the first oil change and haven't seen any signs of problems or oil loss. I change oil at about 7500 miles and fuel filters at 10,000 miles, my oil doesn't look much different then when I put it in and seems like I'm just wasting oil and money. So I'm moving oil changes to 10,000 with fuel filters. Is Amsoil suppose to have a longer life then Rotella syn and if it does how does it compare in price.

Amsoil is a better oil than Rotella T, as it uses a "true" synthetic base stock. But it is also much more money. **You get what you pay for.** If you use Amsoil 5W40 Synthetic, you can use extended oil change intervals that are much higher than the Rotella T. If you want to change the oil every 10K, then the Rotella will be fine. Or if you want overkill protection, buy Amsoil, and change it once a year. Both oils are good. It just depends on what your looking for.

I also use Rotella T, and have not noticed any loss of oil, and change the oil once per year as my driving needs allow that interval. It comes down to about 14K. I change my oil when the weather is nice and warm. ;)

PS! I also have a FS2500 bypass oil filter that helps out tremendously. ;)

We have Amsoil in our 05, and am going to change it once a year. We're at about 6k on the current change. I'm gonna have analysis done in about 1500 miles or so. I'm running 15W-40 right now, but am probably gonna go 5W-30 next change, as the oil pressure is really high at idle, telling me that the oil is really thick.

I run Amsoil, I change the oil by the DIC (10,000 miles) and I use the Amsoil filter. I have changed my fuel filter by the DIC (15,000) from day one and have had no issues, I use OEM fuel filter and run Power Service year round, I've never gelled or had a starting issue. Truck has seen every thing from 100 deg f down to -20 deg f with out wind chill.

Truck has 70,000 + on it

Oil info

Thanks you guys for the info. I hadn't forgotten the thread this has just been a busy Feb so far. I had three friends to die this month and between family visits, work and getting ready for the upcoming camping season things have been hectic around here.

Looks like there are just about as many ways of doing things as there are people to do them. :smile5:
I think I am leaning toward the synthetic oils and possible adding a aux oil filter.

I have been reading where a lot of people are using a 10-15 micron primary fuel filter which makes the OEM filter last longer. I may try that later on.

Right now I will be pulling a 27ft 5/w camper which weights +- 7500lbs loaded. We usually stay within a 2-3 hour radius of our home when camping and we usually average about 12-15 trips a year. Hope to do more next year as I will retire in September of 2009.

If my son goes into the grave digging business like he wants to I will be helping him from time to time and he would have a backhoe and trailer combo of about 14K lbs. I see where people say they pull 20K+ loads and are ok so this should be fine. I have been thinking about a tuner but the jury isn't out about that yet.

I have a cousin that pulls the same combo with a Chevy 2500 gas job so I don't think I would have any problems with the load.

Next weekend will be my first camping trip using my new to me TV. My previous TV was a 2002 Ford F150, CC, 4x4, 5.4L. It handled the camper ok on flat land like we have here in S Ga. but the hills and mountains of N Ga are another thing. It wouldn't stop to suite me. From all accounts the Chevy D/A should handle it fine.

Again thinks for the info.

Later
Dewayne

Last edited:
This truck will handle that 5'er just fine. Our LLY handles our Bumper pull horse trailer just fine and that can get up to 8k with a couple horses in it. What's in there for a brake controller?

Thanks you guys for the info. I hadn't forgotten the thread this has just been a busy Feb so far. I had three friends to die this month and between family visits, work and getting ready for the upcoming camping season things have been hectic around here.

Looks like there are just about as many ways of doing things as there are people to do them. :smile5:
I think I am leaning toward the synthetic oils and possible adding a aux oil filter.

I have been reading where a lot of people are using a 10-15 micron primary filter which makes the OEM filter last longer. I may try that later on.

Right now I will be pulling a 27ft 5/w camper which weights +- 7500lbs loaded. We usually stay within a 2-3 hour radius of our home when camping and we usually average about 12-15 trips a year. Hope to do more next year as I will retire in September of 2009.

If my son goes into the grave digging business like he wants to I will be helping him from time to time and he would have a backhoe and trailer combo of about 14K lbs. I see where people say they pull 20K+ loads and are ok so this should be fine. I have been thinking about a tuner but the jury isn't out about that yet.

I have a cousin that pulls the same combo with a Chevy 2500 gas job so I don't think I would have any problems with the load.

Next weekend will be my first camping trip using my new to me TV. My previous TV was a 2002 Ford F150, CC, 4x4, 5.4L. It handled the camper ok on flat land like we have here in S Ga. but the hills and mountains of N Ga are another thing. It wouldn't stop to suite me. From all accounts the Chevy D/A should handle it fine.

Again thinks for the info.

Later
Dewayne

Sorry to hear about your friend and friends, hope this answered your question and helped out. :D

Sorry for your loss Dewayne. Its tough sometimes.

I'd be interested in hearing a full report in how pulled for the first time with this new truck as compared to the Ford 5.4. That 5.4 is a good motor and can certainly take a whippen' but I dont think it breathes real well because its so choked down with emissions.

Craig, I appreciate the condolences about my friends. I am just about getting like the fellar that got to looking at the number of people in his neighborhood that were dieing so he decided he better move. ):h

Nick, thanks also. I will let you know when I return next week. I liked my F-150 but just to small to handle camper in some situations.
I am having to adjust to a slightly longer wheelbase in the 2500 as it is about 16-18in longer. That don't seem like much but it makes the difference in getting into some tight parking spaces lot's of times. Makes me park further away from store sometimes. Oh well, I need the exercise anyway.:yesnod:

I see where most of you guys use OEM filters. Do you buy from dealer or where?

Thanks
Dewayne

Many of us prefer to purchase from site sponsors. These guys are paying to keep our pages free for everyone to use. Some have high quality products and will usually cut you some kind of deal. Synthetics are the way to go if you havent made up your mind yet. If there's anything else you need help with, please let us know.

Back