• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

diagnosis needed, rpm-dies w/ gear engagement-hard start

deejaaa

Diesel Beginner
Reaction score
i have been running wvo mix for a few months but have decided it's not worth it, between fuel filter changes and being stranded, those days are over. think i have IP damage but i want to rule out anything else.
after it sits overnight, it will start pretty easy, just a few revolutions. after sitting 8 hours in the day, hard to start with a lot of cranking, priming with wd40, and will die when dropped in gear, then i will do it all again to start. if i rev it up before i drop in gear, it will keep running. rpm had slowed down to 4-500 so i idled it up, around 900, to keep it running. filter is new, pressure at 7 idle, 5-6 running. no sock. was running great last week, all it took was a short crank to start. i didn't even need to give it any pedal. LP is new. have maybe 30,000 miles on this IP.
have another IP, that i will increase case pressure/fuel delivery, that i can drop in but want to rule out any other suspects. any thoughts?

BTW, this is the 93.
trans is manual control. tcc is manual control. mods are in sig.

TCC manual controll or not,...sol could still be stuck closed.Check for codes
Look for air in IP return line (clear tubing)with the hard start(wriggle the trottle shaft)

OK, tcc is bypassed. i don't even have the trans harness connected. i have the jake harness/controller plugged to the trans. it connects to the trans where the normal tcc would connect. there is no connection from the trans to the tcc any more. tps is non-functioning, it doesn't go anywhere but the tcc, it's bypassed. whenever i am in OD, tcc is engaged, by me via toggle. when i am coming to a stop, or slow turn, i flip it off, i know when it is off, rpm's rev up and they don't drop by speed. today, pulling in from a 30 min drive, i turn off tcc, drop it into neutral, stop, put into reverse, back into driveway, get as far back as i need to go and it dies, at idle speed in reverse. now, after it is fully warmed up, i try to start it back up and it just spins over. i could get it started but it would take a lot of cranking, again.
it is not the trans because of the tcc, tcm, tps and if you think it is, give me a reason why, as now you know, none of that is even functioning.
installed another fuel pressure gauge. now have one before and after the ffm. both read 7 and 8. air filter is good as well as fuel filter.
i am running #2 right now, all wvo is flushed out.

it was a mix and i was leaning towards the ip. i have a spare, increased case pressure and turned up the fuel. i will pull intake tomorrow and pop the upper case.

OK, tcc is bypassed. i don't even have the trans harness connected. i have the jake harness/controller plugged to the trans. it connects to the trans where the normal tcc would connect. there is no connection from the trans to the tcc any more. tps is non-functioning, it doesn't go anywhere but the tcc, it's bypassed. whenever i am in OD, tcc is engaged, by me via toggle. when i am coming to a stop, or slow turn, i flip it off, i know when it is off, rpm's rev up and they don't drop by speed. today, pulling in from a 30 min drive, i turn off tcc, drop it into neutral, stop, put into reverse, back into driveway, get as far back as i need to go and it dies, at idle speed in reverse. now, after it is fully warmed up, i try to start it back up and it just spins over. i could get it started but it would take a lot of cranking, again.
it is not the trans because of the tcc, tcm, tps and if you think it is, give me a reason why, as now you know, none of that is even functioning.
installed another fuel pressure gauge. now have one before and after the ffm. both read 7 and 8. air filter is good as well as fuel filter.
i am running #2 right now, all wvo is flushed out.
OK, i got ye.
It could very well be the IP,..but did you try bypassing the key and energizing the shutoff sol straight from the batt.
Maybe the ign switch or the ESO sol is the culprit?

i can try bypassing it tomorrow, see what happens. i will crack an injector afterwards to see if fuel is present.

Sounds like the hot start head and rotor clearance issue.
I know cleaning the IP screen is tricky as the cover preloads the transfer pump.

The metering valve can stick closed. I had one do that combined with bad injectors. It would stall on deaccel. Higher idle and new injectors solved that.

There is a fuel temp/viscosity compensating device in the IP. One IP I sent to scrap metal would idle 1100 cold and 500 hot.

Sounds like the hot start head and rotor clearance issue.
I know cleaning the IP screen is tricky as the cover preloads the transfer pump.

The metering valve can stick closed. I had one do that combined with bad injectors. It would stall on deaccel. Higher idle and new injectors solved that.

There is a fuel temp/viscosity compensating device in the IP. One IP I sent to scrap metal would idle 1100 cold and 500 hot.
hard start is not THAT easy when it's cold, just not AS bad when it's warm.
i removed the ip screen about 3 months ago, but it was clean.
where is the "fuel temp/viscosity compensating" device located and can the metering valve be cleaned without removal?
does it sound like replacement time?

I used to run a mix of WVO in the diesel tank while also running a two tank system. The WVO pluged up my hard line going to FFM Could not get truck over 30MPH. I would try blowing out all your lines next as its easy and free. They could be all plaqued up.

Have you pulled out the FFM last ditch screen? It may be plugged.
Kink in line between IP and FFM?
UNK where the idle speed fuel viscosity device is in the IP.

I would check voltage as suggested to the pink wire at cranking.
Then I would pop the top of the IP and manually work the metering valve and see if it hangs up. You will also see the condition of the innards. (Engine off of course.)

Next take a couple of injectors down to be tested. Mine were sticking open at 30K miles on them and simply ate starters during the smoke show 30+ second cranking times.
Due to my engine eating a worm clamp down the intake head port during an IP swap I would suggest testing the injectors before pulling the IP out. But that is just me.

if the rain would stop, i would be out there now.
stupid me, i drove it in the rain with kids in back, it died at an intersection. could NOT get it going. called the tow truck. cummins pushed me out of the road.
looking for a TDI right now.
4a160ee6.jpg

44902c06.jpg

474ae169.jpg

ec727fab.jpg

baf79b8e.jpg

a4f14dd8.jpg

it's stopped here also.
looked at the ffm screen but it was clean.i had blown out the ffm when i cleaned out all the wvo. blew it out after soaking/cleaning with light oil. i will need to get one from you when i get on the road again, this one got destroyed by me. still no start. bypassed ip sol, clicks off/on, left it on, cracked injector, cranked, still no fuel. let it turn over several times.
guess it's ip time.

Back