• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DETROIT DIESEL

That looks like a 12v71. My nickname actually comes from my days driving a couple older heavy wreckers with supercharged Detroit two strokes. One was a 69 autocar with an 8v71, the other an 88 IH with a 6v71. That A-car had some scoot, let me tell you. Unbelievably fun to drive, a two stroke that was fast as hell, high revving like a dirtbike.
I actually had to relearn how to drive a truck when I moved into conventional 4 stroke diesel N-14s that you don't shift at WOT.

I actually had to relearn how to drive a truck when I moved into conventional 4 stroke diesel N-14s that you don't shift at WOT.

That was the problem I faced with mine. The "steering wheel grabbers" I use to hire couldn't drive my 6v92T. Out of 5 drivers only one besides myself could drive the truck with respect. Defintely a unique feel. I probably drove more Detriots that anything else in my 22 yrs as a CDL. Biggest problems with the 2 strokes they had no low end torque so if you were pulling a hill loaded you better walk the traffic light or a driveshaft you'd be a replacing.

Back