• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

detroit Diesel 638 Engine swapped 1985 chevy K10 custom Deluxe

I am putting one of these VM Motori 638 engines in a 1973 F-250 4x4. How did everything go when you got the clutch issues sorted out? Looks great!

Was this one of the UPS re-power engines you used? with the chev bellhousing adapter so it bolted right up to the factory 4 speed in your chev truck?

I need a starter for my engine could you take a photo of yours with any part numbers?

My engine is also from a UPS truck and has a 1999 gmc truck 11 7/8" clutch disc and pressure plate on the VM flywheel. I believe the starter supplied with the UPS package car re-power kit was different than the one used in the Hyudai Bering truck application of this engine.

I think I may use a superduty radiator/intercooler with the rear pointing connections but i like the look of your Champion. Can you tell me more about it and where I might be able to fine one like it?

thanks for posting this thread. Its always great to see other crazy people out in the world! Best of luck .

I'm still curious as to how the electronic injection works. Did the motor come with a pre- programmed ECM so there was no aftermarket tuning necessary? Or if a tuner was used what program? Congrats on the swap!

Yes. It's a preprogrammed ecm. I believe that is the reason these engines were not more popular. That and the fact they sometimes have overheating issues. I hope to be able to deal with this. Also there just aren't many in North America. Some were used in marine applications. Many of these engines were used for industrial purposes and the 5 cylinder version were in jeep Cherokees in Europe.

Detroit sold them for diesel repower units to UPS in the late 90's these all had adapter plates to bolt up to GM bell housing and standard small block style motor mounts. Except for the turbo plumbing it's a bolt in swap for a Chev truck of that era.

I ended up with 4 of these engines all with fairly low miles. I am hoping for decent mileage and torque in my truck. Not wild performance just a good work truck built from parts l mostly have. As I mentioned earlier I don't have starters and am trying to find out what were used in the UPS application. I have a Detroit parts list but haven't yet been able to cross reference it.

So that's most of the story. Thanks for the encouragement! It's finally coming together.

I am putting one of these VM Motori 638 engines in a 1973 F-250 4x4. How did everything go when you got the clutch issues sorted out? Looks great!

Was this one of the UPS re-power engines you used? with the chev bellhousing adapter so it bolted right up to the factory 4 speed in your chev truck?

I need a starter for my engine could you take a photo of yours with any part numbers?

My engine is also from a UPS truck and has a 1999 gmc truck 11 7/8" clutch disc and pressure plate on the VM flywheel. I believe the starter supplied with the UPS package car re-power kit was different than the one used in the Hyudai Bering truck application of this engine.

I think I may use a superduty radiator/intercooler with the rear pointing connections but i like the look of your Champion. Can you tell me more about it and where I might be able to fine one like it?

thanks for posting this thread. Its always great to see other crazy people out in the world! Best of luck .
Here is the starter, I ordered the Champion radiator from Summit. I haven't been able to drive the truck to test out its capabilities yet.

Attachments

• IMG_20210505_225959.jpg
    IMG_20210505_225959.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 9
Thanks guys, having this part number is a huge help. I was able to find a starter. It's the same one as in used on some hyster and yale forklifts. I never would have been able to cross reference with out your help. I owe you one for sure. I have quite a bit of information about troubleshooting electrical issues and pin diagrams if you need any of that. These forums are a great community! Thanks again

I forgot to respond to a couple of questions.
I did not install this engine, The guy who did the conversion was, unfortunately, unable to keep it and sold it to me for $500. CRAZY! the work you see on this thread is what I have done.

Hi,

I recently got a detroit vm 638 engine as well.
The wiring loom, ecu is all included. But nothing is connected right now. There are a lot of connectors that fit on multiple sensors.

Can you help me out with wiring?

Attachments

• IMG_20211224_165118.jpg
    IMG_20211224_165118.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20211224_165154.jpg
    IMG_20211224_165154.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 13
Thanks for this info, i also would like to use the original ECU as I bought an Detroit 638 today, but i know the fuel pump can be rebuilt so its mechanical, but ECM would have my preference. How dit you wire the ECM? Is there an OBD port ?

Back