• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Dented front crossmember

Rutjes

Reaction score
I was resealing the oil pan and I took a closer look at this dent in the front crossmember that has been bugging me for a while. It's hard to find reference pictures, but eventually I found 1 picture and also a YouTube video of a lift kit install where I could see the crossmember from underneath. They seem perfectly flat/straight. Here's mine:

WhatsApp Image 2024-03-05 at 03.05.28.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2024-03-05 at 03.05.28(1).jpeg

I'm guessing a previous owner jacked up this truck in the middle of this crossmember. I'm now thinking that this must be why I can't get the chamber neutral or negative. And maybe also why I had a very hard time getting the fenders bolted on after painting. Almost needed to force them into place. Although the top does seem flat, can it be that the bottom is pulling the outsides inwards, warping everything around it? Moving the lower control arms in, etc.

Does anyone have any dimensions I can reference to check things out? The Body Builders manual has a lot of dimensions, but I can't find any I can use.

If this is the cause of my problems, any tips fixing it? I have one of those hydraulic body/frame repair kits if it's of any use...

116a0402-6825-4041-9dba-1e4189cfe84d.__CR0,0,1200,1200_PT0_SX300_V1___.jpg

I doubt that would cause the camber not to adjust out properly. it may impede it slightly but if you have a old school frame shop nearby they should be able to adjust it for you for a small fee. you can also get offset upper a-arm bushing that will give you additional adjustment. Just weld some gussets to prevent any further flex on the cross member.

I doubt that would cause the camber not to adjust out properly. it may impede it slightly but if you have a old school frame shop nearby they should be able to adjust it for you for a small fee. you can also get offset upper a-arm bushing that will give you additional adjustment. Just weld some gussets to prevent any further flex on the cross member.

Unfortunately shops like that don't really exist over here. Wish I was in the US or even the UK. Shops like that seem to be more common there. Custom exhaust shops, custom leaf spring shops, custom driveshafts, etc... Would make having 2 Chevy project trucks a lot easier.

I will have a look at those offset bushings. I did notice them when I was looking for new control arms.

I might just do that, weld in some gussets. I'd like to check the dimensions before I do. Maybe I can use the dent/frame repair tool to move things into place before welding if necessary.

Anyone able to get some measurements, like from bolt hole to bolt hole on the lower control arms?

it simply may be manufacturing differences from your truck to the next one when they were on the assembly line. my 95 on the drivers side needed the offset bushing to get the camber into spec. the guy that did the alignment offered to pull it up on the frame table for a nominal fee but at the time I didn't have the funds. I did the next best thing and installed the offset bushings. looking at the frame there was no evidence that I could see why it was off.

I doubt that crossmember was dented from jacking it up. More likely someone ran over something

Thats my thoughts.
Bounced it over a big boulder or some such.
From what I can see in the pics, I dont think that amount of dent will affect the alignment of any of the components.
I concur with the previous comments as well. Out of all the GMT400's I've had all were straight there, someone definitely plowed over/into an immovable object. If there is damage here maybe other hidden damage occurred at that time resulting in your struggles.

Back