• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Delo 400 oils

ak diesel driver

6.5 driver
Reaction score
So a friend of mine picked up several barrels of both 10w and 30w oil. They have detergent in them. Is there any reason I shouldn't run it for a fuel lube additive. I know Heath reccommends non detergent.

Not that I can think of... on big rigs they specifically want a detergent oil for helping clean debris from ip and carbon from injectors.
Thats why atf is used- it has detergent...

Maybe call him and get details?

Maybe something about clouding the fuel and it messing with a ds4?

Detergent oils are even good to add a in gasoline engines to decarbon the valves through the intake manifold- less aggressive than water shock treatments.

The GM upper engine cleaner that is touted as one of the best is a super high detergent 10wt oil mixed with alchol to burn hot.

I wonder if it cuts down on the lubricity?

Yes. One of the reasons diesel oil is different from gas oil is the amount of detergent. Aside of compression this difference is why diesel bearings are larger. More detergent in the oil takes a larger area to carry a load. Now oil specs have changed a couple times since I ran across this...

For using as an additive into fuel- so what if it is slightly less lubricative, add another cup to the fuel tank. It would be so slightly less that different brands of oils would be more noticeable.

Just as important as lubricating the IP and injectors is having them clean. Well lubricated carbon build up helps what?

I don't know.
Seems like it was the detergent package didn't burn as well as just oil which was more like diesel. The detergent package is suppose to deal with soot and might not mix with diesel as well or have components that retard combustion??? I bet it won't matter for a couple of 50 gallons ....maybe over the life of engine????

Maybe Sort of like splitting hairs adding which 2 cycle oil. The W rated for marine use vs air cooled small engine oil that iirc withstands higher ring temps?

Back