• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Debating what to do

6.5coalroller

Reaction score
Well i'm bout positive I blew a head gasket. I got a flood comin from the drivers side and it's gettin in the exhaust on the passenger side. I think maybe the holset did it. I dont have it intercooled and I have spiked it close to 19 or so a couple times, but I have only went 2000 miles since I put my head studs in and got the turbo on. Think i'm gonna pull the engine and check it out(really a chore doin them in the truck). So with my engine at 190k on it I was wonderin what I should do while I have it out. Thinkin bout a rering kit and maybe goin to the A-team turbo if funds will allow. Dont have a ton of money to work with but christmas is coming up. I dont think I can scrape up enough to do a full rebuild but is there anything else I should replace wit the rering kit? The cheapest kit I found was on northernautoparts.com and I think you can ad to the kits too. 402.93 for a rering kit and 1083.67 for a complete rebuild.

at 190k i would do a fuell rebuild if you can.
might as well, think of all the work taking it out and putting it back in.
the cost of the parts is a lot smaller than that portion of it...
my 2cents.

at 190k i would do a fuell rebuild if you can.
might as well, think of all the work taking it out and putting it back in.
the cost of the parts is a lot smaller than that portion of it...
my 2cents.

I agree, if you can have your truck down and money allows go threw it :thumbsup:

If you can afford it just do a full rebuild. Especially if you are yanking out the motor.

Like most things in life, judge what you are going to do on what you can afford.

If funds are tight I'd rering. Probably get another 100k out of it. I'd also put in a new oil pump if it's not included. Going to be alot more money doing full rebuild. Besides the kit you have machine work too. And if you do a full rebuild then you'd have to do heads also.

well we may pull it out tonight and once we get it apart see if there's anything major wrong. Hopefully no cracks or anything it still runs real smooth so I would thing it's jus a head gasket.

Why is everyone is so bent on a rebuild? These engines can go 400k or more. Do the compression numbers warrent a re-ring? Why fix what isn't broke? The more you take apart the more chances fo some type of error putting back together. I do agree with pulling the engine to do head gaskets. Way too easy to not get the deck perfectly clean. Much easier to check for flat too. At least you have the head studs. They are reuseable unlike the rubberband tty bolts. At 20 psi boost you are lucky you weren't picking parts up off the ground.
Northern is the cheapest for kits that i've seen if you go that route. They don't have fel-pro gaskets in the kits though. No shure i would trust sealed power or what ever brand they put in.

She runs good so don't screw with it, stick a set of new seals in her, get the A-team and don't touch it for another 5 or so years. 190K is baby shit miles......

Almost got her out last night all we got left is unbolt the tranny and motor mounts and take the grill out. Then out she comes. Took me and my buddy bout 3 hours to get this far. May sound like a lot of work, but even if we only end up changin gaskets it will be so much easier on an engine stand and it will get done rite.

Not to mention other housecleaning and tons of other stuff.

Perhaps change out those motor mounts while there is no motor in the way :)

Go nuts with black rustoleum in there too !

engine.th.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Lol I would lyk to. I gotta find a winter job to help pay for all this now that harvests over there's nothin to do on the farm.

Got the heads off today. Blew the passenger side between cyl 6 and 8 everything else looks pretty good really from what I can see. Not sure what I'm gonna do about my turbo setup yet. I'll get some pics on here tommorrow of the gaskets.

Make sure you check out the surfaces really carefully wit a straight edge. Especially where the gasket failed.

if you are so tight on funds, why dont you just turn down your boost numbers with the holset. I dont think your holset was why you blew a gasket, but rather unregulated boost created by the holset.

If you are gonna stick with the stock compression ratio, the ATT would to be a good choice if funds allow.

Back